Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Car subwoofer
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010 03:15 

the setup:
*Alpine 15" Dual 2 Ohm Subwoofer
-2000w Max
-750w RMS
*Kenwood 1800w Amp
-1800w Max
-900w RMS @ 2 Ohms
-500w RMS @ 4 Ohms

question:
if i have the sub connected to the amp, since there is dual 2 ohms, does that mean the amp will run at 4 ohms 500w RMS (2+2=4)?
or does that mean even when both speaker wires are plugged in, the amp will still run at 2 ohms 900w RMS?

Post subject: Re: Car subwoofer
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010 18:32 

i don't fully understand your question, but let me explain few things.
if there is dual 2 ohms and you connect TWO seperate speakers, then well .. amp will still output 2 ohms, but if you have 2 speakers/subwoofers, then yeah both of them would work 2 ohms. however if you plug both of them into same 2ohm plugin, then it would still be 2.

hope you understand what i mean.
so if your woofer is dual 2ohms (not sure what it is). i guess it means that it has 2 speakers/woofers inside of one box ?
so as i said, if your subwoofer has 4 wires (2 cables, 2 wires in each) and you plug 1 cable into one 2 ohm and other cable into other 2 ohm, then both would work on 2 ohms. it is like dual core CPU. for example if you have 3.0 dual core cpu, then you can consider it as 6ghz, but it doesnt actually run on 6ghz, it is still 2x3ghz. same with speakers.

however if there is manual and specifically something about it, then you should read that.
and ohms means nothing anyways. ohm is resistance in wires, not voltage or watts. so if you don't shortwire anything, then you cant ruin it.
it is just matter of output quality. if you are not using right cables and such, then it will reduce the output quality, but it will only be noticed when your system uses more than like 80% of its potential. (usually)

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010 20:28 

just one 1 speaker/sub that has dual 2 ohms
it means that it just has 2 inputs for the speaker wires
see :)

the less ohms, the more watts the sub can get quicker :)
so the louder by sub will boom. lol

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010 00:52 

if your amp has also dual 2ohms, then you should connect them.
it is very important that you connect + to + and - to -.
huh ? wtf ?
well this is what many ppl do, either by thinking that you should ALWAYS do that or they dont know what + and - are.
if you connect normal speakers then it doesnt matter which way you connect the + and -.
but most likely subwoofer's inputs are connected, so it means if you connect one of them wrongly, then you will burn your amp (short circuit).

however i would not put something like this into my car, i have 30w speaker/woofer + one big speaker and 2 small spakers and CD player is 4x50w and no amp. to me it is enought loud. bass is also very good. yes 30w is really low, i would like 100w woofer, then CD player doesnt have enought power to burn it or make sound all scratchy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]