Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: cod mw2 -- iwnet lameness
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009 01:37 

So, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 was just released. As most of you are most likely aware, the pc version no longer supports dedicated servers, everything is through this magical IWNET.

As it were, IWNET is going to make LAN Parties a thing of the past. Everyone must connect to the internet and link up as IWNET sees fit. I'm going to assume that it isn't smart enough to have hosts connect directly to one other if they are all behind NAT (which 99% of us are). So everyone on the LAN will have to squeeze through the same internet connection.

I'm wondering if anyone here has, or is planning on, taking a look at the structure of IWNET?
Like..
The servers that are involved in connecting everyone...
The way the connections are actually formed...
The actual protocols underlying the matchmaking process...

If I had to guess, I would say there is a master/matchmaking server that groups people, finds one with a directly reachable (routable IP/upnp/NAT hole punching) computer, makes them host, and tells everyone to connect to the host. Then cuts them loose.

I'm thinking that it should be theoretically possible to emulate IWNET. That way, you could have a LAN party without everyone having to go over the internet.

Post subject: Re: cod mw2 -- iwnet lameness
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009 12:26 

personally I can tell you that I will never work on it

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009 09:33 

Can I ask why?
@stranger64 You should take a look at Teknogods they already have a fix for Spec Ops.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009 18:37 

simply because I don't have the game and I'm not much interested (lately I have lost interest in reversing and the rest).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]