Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: COD4 Demo Files
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2009 00:00 

Hey there,

just found the way to your forums. Since I'm not very experienced in de/encoding, I'm impressed what you guys could do with your knowhow.

My question is about the dm_1- Format of COD4. These Demofiles are encoded in any way and i cant figure out how to get the info out of them.
Is there a way?

Greetings from Germany,
MOnsDaR

Post subject: Re: COD4 Demo Files
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2009 10:53 

I don't know the format, anyway no encryption is involved (the initial block of data which looks "strange" is handled at a first step by 00609a90 but no encryption or similar stuff is involved)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 18:15 

Ok, i thought it gives a relatively easy way to read data from those files. But unfortunately it does not seem so :/

Perhaps i'll reactivate this research after my current projects more deeply. The earned results then will be posted along this thread for sure.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2009 16:11 

i kept my mouth shut and wanted to see Luigi's reply first, so when Luigi doesn't seem to know much about demo files, ..isn't it .dem file extension ? cuz "dm_1- Format of COD4" doesn't say much.

for example in half-life and also source games, .dem, which is fully called "demo file" is a capture of the gameplay. in old half-life you type "record filename" into console and it starts recording your gameplay, afterwards you can play it back using the "play" command in console and then record it with screencapture program. so you can make perfect videos without lag.
if thats the file you talking about, then, as Luigi already said, there is no encryption. it is just in the game engine format, bah dunno how to explain it and can only be played back using the game engine. and no this kind of files can not be used outside of game, because all the game models and sounds are needed !

and also, i have never heard any other type of demo files than this, so my guess is that its same in COD series. demo = demonstration, so it is used to playback the gameplay using game files (sounds, models, graphics..etc)

if i didn't hit the point with this, then plz explain what is "dm_1-" file ? what is extension of the file you talking about ? ..like is it ".dm", ".dem", ".demo" ...etc

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2009 16:39 

@sethioz
dm_1 is just the extension of the demos recorded on cod4:
/record mydemo
/stoprecord
/demo mydemo (although seems that you must move the dm_1 file in the profile folder to play it)

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009 13:19 

so i was right, it is the demonstration of gameplay.
now the thing is .. what is there you exactly want to get out of that file ??
what possible purpose it can have ? there is no info you can use in any way anywhere else, those files NEED COD4 to be played or used at all. they simply contain the movement of characters (prolly few more details) and it is impossible to use without game.
as i explained, it uses game engine to play itself, like models, sounds, graphics..etc.
demo file is not a video, it cannot be played on computer that doesn't support this game, while videos can be played even on some pc with 100mhz cpu and 64mb ram prolly.

Quote:
cant figure out how to get the info out of them.

can you explain what kind of info you are expecting to get out of them ?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]