Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Deleting a known file in C++
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007 23:33 

I'm trying to write a simple program that will delete a specified file when executed. Here is the code I'm using:

[code]

#include <stdlib.h>

int main() {
system ("del C:\folder\file.txt");
return 0;
}

[/code]

I get an error that "Access is denied."

How can I fix that and what causes it? Also, is this a good way to go about deleting a file?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007 23:41 

might be easier to replace the file instead of delete, why would it need to delete anyway what are u coding :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007 23:48 

Well, I saw a thread someone wrote on another forum asking how he could delete AIM chat logs on someone else's computer. People suggested that he write a program to do it. So I thought I'd give it a try too, since it seems fairly simple and I'm new to programming.

I can do it with a .bat file easy. I could even convert the .bat to .exe, but I'd like to know how to do it in C++ too. xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007 23:49 

Oops..double post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007 12:26 

unlink("filename");

NEVER use system or exec* commands when you can do the same thing using C functions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007 14:44 

I replaced the appropriate code and it didn't seem to work. I didn't get a error message, but the file is still there. Here is my code now:

[code]

#include <unistd.h>

int main() {
unlink ("C:\folder\file.txt");
return 0;
}

[/code]

I think that there are still some issues with permissions even though it doesn't say it.

[i]Edit:[/i]

Ok, I changed this part: [b]unlink ("file.txt");[/b]
I copied it to the directory with the file and ran it and it worked. How can I use C/C++ to navigate to the directory I want though, so I don't have to copy it to the directory where the file is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007 15:05 

remember that \ is a special char in C:

unlink ("C:\\folder\\file.txt");

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007 15:12 

That did the trick. xD

Thanks for the help. I might have more questions later.

Ok, how can I use a wildcard to delete multiple files of one type? I tried this:

unlink ("C:\\folder\\*.txt");

But the compiler sees that as an operator symbol right and not a wildcard? Also if the chat logs are stored under the users documents and settings folder and then in the application data folder, or in some other folder that is going to be a variable (i.e. the persons name or profile), how can I work around that? Or do I get the information from the system somehow?

For example: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Program Name\profile (or username)\logs.txt

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007 22:12 

In this case the matter is a bit more complex but not difficult.
I have checked also the DeleteFile() function but doesn't support wildcards too.

The only way is just indexing all the files in that specific folder and deleting them with unlink.
Not hard if you have the needed code, like the one in attachment which goes deeper in the folder you specify.
If you don't need to go into the other directories just remove the instruction at line 22

Attachments:
recursive_dir.c [922 Bytes]
Downloaded 133 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007 07:07 

Thanks Luigi, I appreciate you writing the code for me. But I don't understand what it all means. If you have some extra time (I know you're always busy) would you be able to go back through it and comment the lines? I think I could get it with just a simple explanation so it doesn't have to be too detailed.

I hope thats not too much to ask, but I would really like to learn so I can write things myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007 13:42 

check the source code I attached, there is only one comment there in which is written just "add your stuff here" so remove the printf over it and add unlink(fname) or any other type of code you want.
If you know a bit of C is a joke to use that function, while if you don't know it... go to learn it!
8-) ih ih ih

Seriously, you can't drive if you don't know what is the accelerator or if you don't know at least the basic signals or you will do a big crash, moreover if you are playing with unlink and other dangerous functions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007 14:13 

>_<

Ok, I just don't want to get into the habit of accepting code and using it when I don't understand it. I'll try to learn it on my own. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007 14:57 

Excellent, remember to take win32.hlp for the Windows API references

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]