Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: getting someone ip addy via quake 3?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2008 22:29 

Wondering if it was possible to get a list of the players ip addresses on a quake 3 1.16 (or 1.32 for that matter) server ? I know if you have rcon you can see it so seems it should be a way... and perhaps does netstat show them all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008 21:52 

no, it's not possible since the IP addresses of the players are never disclosed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008 12:32 

lol. always makes me laugh...anyways..
game servers work like this:
client - server - client
where server does not act as a forwarder, but acts more like proxy. so it totally HIDES ip from client on other side. with some admin rights you can see IPs because then you are 'part' of server.
for example you can ask that .. is it possible to see other hotmail user IPs without having any admin rights on hotmail.com.

ofcourse its possible if you hack into server, but then again you have some admin rights (hacked). so without admin rights its not possible. also there maybe some exploits for SOME games that allows you to see ips, but then again exploit has to give you some admin rights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008 13:44 

Yea, it would be impossible in the majority of games to see other clients IPs. Though there are exceptions like the bug in crysis - http://aluigi.org/adv/crysislog-adv.txt - however, that's just a bug.

It always makes me laugh when people say "that guy has a high ping and it's lagging me... kick him". High ping players do not lag other players, period. If that was the case, I would go into a server and start maxing out my internet connection and lagging the entire server for fun. However, I do agree with kicking high pingers depending upon the game. For example, in some games the players twitch and it may be hard to shoot them. They aren't lagging you, but their twitching makes it annoying to kill them. But in other games their lag is an advantage to you considering you can get a shot off quicker because you see them first ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008 14:18 

exist also other games (naturally they are not much, I saw a strategy game doing this and if I'm not in error some directplay games, anyway it's a thing not easily noticable) which use a peer2peer-like protocol so the IP addresses of the other players are just sent to the others.

another funny game to notice is Alien Arena where the IP addresses of the players are just included in the reply to any normal information query!
Now, after an advisory I released about various bugs in this game and the possibility of disconnecting arbitrary players just through the problem of the visible IP addresses the game uses "127.0.0.1" as visible IP 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2008 13:33 

Quote:
It always makes me laugh when people say "that guy has a high ping and it's lagging me... kick him".

..unfortunetly most ppl are dumb enought to actually belive that LOL

Quote:
However, I do agree with kicking high pingers depending upon the game. For example, in some games the players twitch and it may be hard to shoot them.

this can only happen in old games. usually when player lags then he/she simply runs into a wall on your screen, but on his/her screen player is still away from wall, ive seen that 'twitching' only in older games (half-life, avp2..etc) in css it can never happen.

as about seeing IPs .. if game client would actually send data individually to each client connected to server then it would be impossible to play with normal connection, you would need crazy upload speed. thats y server handles it. you send your data to server and server sends this data to all clients (because server has GOOD upload, unless you host server in ur pc). im sure everybody understood wht i meant. you need GOOD upload to be able to host server, so if client would send data to other clients you would also need GOOD upload.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]