Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 13:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hosting; fake hosting?
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009 20:24 

I was looking at gslist, but I couldn't figure this out, and I'm not even sure it's possible with gslist,

but is there a way to put your ip on the server list, and make it look real? With a gamename and everything?

Ex: hosting a game on blkhwkdnps2

Post subject: Re: Hosting; fake hosting?
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009 22:46 

uhmmm, gslist has an old option (-b or -B) which allows to put the own IP and port in the online list on the master server.
the method used for doing this is the old one and, as already said, it has only that purpose so no additional details of the server are sent to the Gamespy master server (moreover because it can't invent them using the fantasy) when it queries the host for adding it in the list.

exists also a newer method which works using the enctypeX connection and has some advantages like that of working also behind NATted IP address if I'm not in error, but it's not implemented in gslist.

anyway yes it's possible to set a fake server without problems except that you must write a small tool which binds a specific port and replies to the queries of the other clients although I think that in the recent times the most used technique adopted by the clients is the retrieving of the servers informations directly from the master server (like those informations got by gslist with the -X option) in which case gslist is probably not enough.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]