Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 11:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: how do i start?
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011 04:16 

i'm trying to learn C but i don't really have any idea where to start. reading K&R cover to cover doesn't really seem practical for learning at all and most of the things that turn up when you try to google C tutorial seem entirely useless or retardedly basic hello world programs. it seems more like a reference guide for people who are already proficient in another language, anyway.

the extent of my C knowledge so far is being able to write project euler solutions. any advice / direction?

Post subject: Re: how do i start?
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011 20:15 

I learnt C through the reading of the various pieces of code available on internet.
for example initially I watched the exploit and proof-of-concept... big error because usually they are horribly written by people who know nothing about C.

and I learnt the rest with the practice and only with it.

so I suggest you to start with a small guide that can introduce you in the language and then write some little tools for practice and necessity

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011 07:11 

i don't really know where to find examples of code on the internet that are low enough level for me to dissect and learn from. could you link me some?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011 18:47 

you must start with what you want to see, I mean what's the purpose of the snippet you want to see and then use google.
for example do you want to see how to use openssl?
search: "openssl.h" "stdio.h"

do you want to see how create, read and write a file?
"stdio.h" create file

do you want to see how use sockets in C?
almost all my proof-of-concept code uses them :)

just play with the search in google

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]