Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 13:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 'legalities' of FPB?
PostPosted: 08 May 2008 03:15 

I have a question that I didn't see when doing a quick search..

Since the FPB is a DoS, couldn't there be some hefty ramifications if someone caught wind? Even if you did it to your server over a long period of time, at most in that case couldn't your ISP pull the plug on you?

I'm not out to cause trouble but the fpb seemed like a decent prank to pull on a friend. Maybe I should reconsider though eh? :-0

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008 10:57 

haha u kidding ? using some fake player stuff is not even illegal if im correct. and ISPs dont give a crap about it ... first game server owner have to sue ISP ..and then isp deals with you, but it will never happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008 11:01 

The fake players bug can be considered a Denial of Service since its primary effect is denying the joining of the server to normal legitimate users, and then there are various other secondary effects dependent by the game/software.

But it's difficult to identify or prove since "joining" is just a normal thing, and doing a multi join could be related to more than one player NATted behind that IP address. Then for some types of fake players (for example those of the Battlefield engine) is really hard for an admin to know if he is under attack because both the in-game players and the number visible from outside remains the same (never full) so only the players who tries to join an attacked server see that it's full.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008 12:42 

in other words .. nobody even bothers to look into it. ..well exept the person who is suffering from it (owner of server..etc).
you can even compare it to some forum flooding .. like when page gets stuck when posting .. and then u get mad and hit F5 like 100 times lol. ..so then theres 100 posts instead of one. it happend to me here few times .. it gives blank page so i hit F5 few times .. and then theres like 2-3 posts instead of one. guess that games cant get stuck, but you can always think up a story like that and they can't prove that you was wrong.
besides police, interpol ...blabla .. they have more serious things to look into so they never even bother to check those things. ...also admin can make a fake log file and just say that somebody attacked his server from this IP. log files only keep connections and NOT the data (ISP log files ..and others) so its impossible to prove that you attacked server since log files only show IP and time, but not data that was sent

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]