Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: method of how to change ip (works for me)
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009 02:38 

well after trying to finally get wireless internet (lame) and finding a router that actually worked, my ip changed like 5 times in the past month...
even from switching back and forth from a G router for 1 week, then N router for the next week, it seems to have changed my ip...

so if anyone is looking to change their IP and nothing else is working for them, try switching routers to change it :)
may cost u some money to buy a decent router u can switch in-between with

Post subject: Re: method of how to change ip (works for me)
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009 08:47 

uh, you always seem to take the long and hard way. it's been explained here many times or here > How to change external IP address (i have included Soma's post in there).
reason why it works, is simple. mac address changes. however if your connection is mac based, then changing a router will cause you to lose your connection at all. then you'd need to contact your ISP and give them the new MAC address of your router. however most connections that uses router have a user:pass combination instead.

so instead of changing a router, check your router settings if it is possible to change mac address. changing your router's mac address is equal to getting a new router.
if your router does not support mac change, then it can still be done thru telnet. every router has specific commands. however when you planning on buying a router, i suggest you to get one that supports MAC change in web interface.

why is wireless lame ? im on some 'free' wireless and i got 1.5mb download speed from it (yes megabyte, not megabit). i say its way better than to pay for your net. i don't pay for it + i can do anything i want in internet, without having to worry that they may bust me for uploading torrents or something else.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009 21:51 

i take the way of whatever works for me...
of course there is other methods (ur link) of changing ur ip, i'm just stating another way of how to do it that i thought was pretty easy
some people don't understand all that mumbo-jumbo, so plugging something it to some people may be simpler, i'm just saying just just one other method than to whats already been said.
also as i have said before, i'm not too fond about networking and all that stuff.

well wireless is lame because i can't seem to find any router/adapter combination that is actually like real ethernet
3 routers later, i finally get a router/adapter that can keep a stable connection on the game for the whole game
but with this router, it seems to go into 'oh-crap' mode whenever i load like 5 youtube videos at once and just stops for like 2 minutes...
with my experience of wireless, it has not been so successful and satisfying.

i get 850kb/s, that's usually how much this crap comp. can take anyway, and i have 7mbps even though the cable company (roadrunner) says i could be getting up to 20mbps :s

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009 04:45 

yes indeed lot of ppl are .. well stupid and don't understand most of it. so its easier for them to unplug one and plug other. however its still easier to get a router that supports mac change.

as about that 'oh-crap' mode, this is not because of wireless, it is becuse of router or your pc.
some time ago when i had 12mbit connection, then my router fucked up after every 24h at least, by rebooting automatically or it simply got stuck and i needed to switch it off and on again.
what helped, was reinstalling of firmware (it was dumb firmware config by my isp, idiots)

other problem that ive had, is that torrent (mostly) kind a fucks up the connection. this seems in pc, because sometimes after restart it goes away, but sometimes i have to change my mac to get new ip between router-pc in order to get net working again. i have no idea what this is, maybe cuz packets either stack up or just get stuck somewhere in router .. or between router-pc..very messy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]