Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Other people's latency
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009 18:06 

Anyone else ever hear people in a client/server based game complain about other people's latency, and say it's "causing them to lag"?

I have to rant about this because I hear this all the time and it's wrong. They are not causing you to lag! I just got out of a game where they were trying to voteban a guy because his ping was 350. You then you try to tell them that his ping has no affect on their ping, and they try to argue with you, and call you an idiot. Talk about infuriating...

I do agree that high ping players should be kicked in certain games because they can twitch making it harder to shoot them, but they are definitely not causing you or anyone else to lag! If this were the case, people could easily upset everyone in the server by just maxing out their connection (with filesharing, bittorent, etc) ..and then joining a game.

In the case of the game I was just playing, the guy was lagging, but I was perfectly fine (and so was everyone else). The person complaining was likely lagging from something else, or was too dumb to recognize the difference between latency lag and graphics lag. You latency does not depend on the other players if the game is completely client/server (which all the games I play are!).

Sorry, had to get that one off my chest :P.

Post subject: Re: Other people's latency
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009 19:57 

yes i've seen and heard it too many times too, they even make autoboot for ppl who's lag is bigger than they allow, however it's for other purposes.

indeed it is totally wrong, ppl who say that, are simply retarded 'kids' who know nothing about computers at all or how they work. they even have no idea how client - server works, in fact most likely they even don't know what client and server really mean.

it's other way around, if somebody has bad connection (either far away or just shit connection), ok here i want to specify something, 'shit' connection will NOT give you lag. for example if one person has 100mbit up/down DSL or fibre optic line and other has 1mbit or lower dsl/cable line, then it does not effect lag in any way at all. latency, it means how fast the following happens:
client sends packet to server - server accepts it and sends a reply back - client recieves the reply. ping is measures from the point where client sent the packet to the moment when client recieved the reply from server, so having more bandwidth, will not effect that in any way (we don't go into extreme where you have dial up, because then it would lag cuz its too slow to even play)

so what im saying, is that if you have high ping (lag), then server needs to reply less often, by reducing the load on server, instead of making it higher.
HOWEVER, if the server is bugged, then it can lag other players, because if server gets the packet from that lagging client, then it may wait for each reply by keeping open connection and lagging. damn i can't explain this in such details, maybe Luigi knows what i mean and can explain it.
here's example. MSN is one of those when logging in (but its not UDP like games are) when you login and it starts to load something, but won't get reply right away, it lags the whole program by waiting for reply. so if server has bad engine then it may lag whole server and others.

now to the other thing which pisses ppl off if somebody lags, in older games, like svencoop, half-life ..etc, when person lags, he/she starts to twitch in server and is extremely hard to hit. in avp2 i exploited this by sending wrong movement packets, causing my charecter to be in 2 places, but not at same time, so my character was twitching between the real position and fake position. if i started moving they saw me, if i stopped moving, they saw fake me. so it was like a teleport, but not. this is the main reason why ppl set the ping limit, but in newer games this does not happen, if you lag, then others see you normally. for example if server does not get a command from client, then server simply keeps you idle whereever you was.

also what may cause lag, is so called joiner lag, on many game engines it causes huge lag spikes to everybody if somebody with laggy connection joins.
anyways in most games they does not cause lag to others, joiner lag is something else already.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]