Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 11:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: PC as gateway ?
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010 18:09 

I guess this goes to Soma mostly. what do i need to run my pc as a gateway ? so for example if i connect 2 computers using router and one of them uses wireless to get internet, then in other computer i use the local IP of other pc that has internet as a gateway and it would connect.

kind a messy, but im sure you understand what i mean.

Post subject: Re: PC as gateway ?
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010 20:28 

So computer "A" has a wireless and a wired nic? Also, is it Windows? If so, just share out the wireless connection using the built in wizard in Windows. Then any machine plugging into the wired NIC on computer "A" will get an address via DHCP and use the wireless as it's internet. You don't even need a router. Though if multiple pcs do need to connect like this, just use a switch.

If I didn't understand, draw a picture of what you want to do, and label everything.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010 20:50 

i would need details, i cant bother to fight with windows.

1. i do NOT have landline (cable, dsl ..etc).
2. i have only wireless internet (using wireless PCI card with antenna)
3. computer "A" has wireless card and ethernet card
4. computer "A" gets into internet using wireless
5. computer "A" and computer "B" are connected using router
6. computer "B" does not have wireless adapter
7. I want to connect computer B into internet using computer A's internet via router, without using proxy settings.

i can do that easily with Luigi's proxymini, but i want it to get the IP like from gateway.
so in that way, i only connect one computer using wireless and connect all computers to a router and they would all have internet. thats what i want. in general i have 3 pcs and 1 laptop, but it doesnt matter, i just want B to get internet from A via router.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010 05:03 

You don't need a router anywhere. Just connect computer B to computer A's wired nic, and share out the wireless connection. It's done for you, there's no fighting. Just follow the steps. I've done it many times.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010 15:44 

not happening, in this case i have to mention that ALL of the NICs are used up. i have all 3 computers hooked up to a router, cuz im using my main pc to remotely control the others. so it has to be done via router.
wireless would work between A and C, but it would be SLOW.
C is my main pc, B is laptop and A is one i use as server, which should share the connection into B.

so in short, i use A to download all torrents ..etc and then i use my main pc (C) to download them from A (via router, like 5mb/s). breaking all that up, is no good for me, cuz i cant control A if i unplug it from router.

and i dont have any extra NICs either

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]