Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Playing sounds
PostPosted: 18 May 2008 06:12 

Hello,

I had a simple question about playing sounds in JK2 1.02 that luigi or anyone else here might be able to answer (it is not highly pertinent to coding aspects of the game but since there are people here who know a lot about the Q3 engine in general, I thought I might as well ask).

Seeing as it's possible to create target_speakers in JK2 which can play sounds when the listener is within reasonable distance (or, if selected, can be heard from anywhere in the server), and it is also possible to play clientside sounds using the 'play' command, is it possible to play a sound that others will be able to hear, similar to a target_speaker? I'm aware that in other Q3 engine-based games, there were commands such as vsay, however these appear to be disabled in JK2.

Thank you,
-the uninformed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2008 17:39 

Uhmmm if you refer to a custom sound the answer is probably that it's not possible since by default the quake 3 engine doesn't allow this type of custom content (any custom thing can be a security problem, that's why by default this is not allowed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2008 19:54 

No, I am referring to sounds that are provided by default with JK2, contained in assets1.pk3 such as sound/chars/bartender/misc/taunt or a similar example. Nothing custom is involved.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]