Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 11:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to turn USB port power ON/OFF ?
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010 00:52 

just as title says. anybody know how to turn USB port power on/off ?
and im not talking about data, but actual power (electricity). I took some lights and cut the cord and soldered it to USB cable instead so it is USB powered (it was 5v just like usb).
so now i want to be able to turn them on/off using some buttons, not to unplug it or make switch, i want it to be 100% software controlled and in windows, not in linux.
however if somebody knows a way to do that in linux, i would like to test, but not really interested in linux.

Post subject: Re: How to turn USB port power ON/OFF ?
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010 01:10 

You can try to go into device manager and disable the port.

Other then that I doubt this is possible. The only way to do this is from the bios and that invokes a reboot for the port to draw power or not.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010 21:41 

not helping. disabling the port in device manager does not turn the power off, it only disabled the device. if you haven't noticed yet, im not a rookie. i have treid all the basics. it has to be some custom driver/program. this is why i ask here. i have searched google and there's nothing useful really.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010 03:59 

Hardware type programming usually requires knowledge of assembly, you should pick a dialect and cruise through their tutorials.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010 22:41 

not helping noa, if i would be interested of making it myself, then i would. i would start reading and learning about specific motherboard types and how it powers USB and then about specific drivers. i need more details or tools, not a general stuff.

i dont even know what kind of "dialect" you mean. im quite sure that on some motherboards its not even possible. for example my MB holds power in USB even when its turned off, other pc doesnt do that. my USB mouse's light is always on, even when pc is turned off, while if i plug it into other pc and turn it off, then mouse goes off too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]