Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 11:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: corrupted hard drive, how to fix it ?!
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010 10:39 

exactly what it says. i encrypted one old HDD using truecrypt (60gb). then my pc crashed and after that it was corrupted beyond any level i have seen before. truecrypt did mount it, but then said that drive is not accessable.

so i tried to format it using windows xp default. quick format failed with the message that it failed. without the quick format, its been stuck for about 10 hours by now, with the HDD light on. so obviously it is not doing anything useful.

i tried to encrypt it again using tc, but in the format part it says that hdd is physically damaged or cables are damaged blabla, which obviously is NOT the case.

auslogic disk defrag tool says that it does not support formatting of RAW devices.

so what other tools you ppl suggest ?
i could try linux maybe, what was the full command for formatting a drive in linux ?

UPDATE:
I just put it to format thru cmd, using the following command:
Code:
format D: /fs:NTFS

but results are same, it says 0 percent done and nothing happening, except that HDD light is constantly on.

Post subject: Re: corrupted hard drive, how to fix it ?!
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2010 11:07 

Sounds like a bad drive. Not much you can do about that. Hard drives can still be detected by an operating system to look like they're working, but have problems reading/writing. I have seen what you're running into a few times now.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2010 01:05 

it is not a bad drive, i just said that it worked just perfectly before truecrypt, since truecrypt encrypts WHOLE harddrive, including all 0 sectors and such, this is the reason.

since xp is stupid when it comes to giving info about errors, i used ubuntu and it said that drive has many bad sectors and also couldn't format it.

all this is caused by truecrypt encryption, not a hardware failure. NOTHING to do with hardware.

so now my question is, what tool is able to fix ALL hard drive errors and turn it into the state that it should be after full format.
ubuntu just said that "disk has many bad sectors" and the count was like 4000 something.
i tried to use the check disk, but fucker doesnt work, it just disappears and thats it. theo ne in xp.
partition magic offers to reboot, but cant bother atm (will test someday and update the post).
also ubuntu was able to format/change it into ext4 somehow, but it still gives same shit with the bad sectors.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2010 08:05 

Try running dban on it

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2010 01:10 

http://www.dban.org/download

this ? seems good. will try in few days.

if it comes to such things, then xp sucks badly. i had nearly same problem with my SD card, when broken/loose usb port fucked it up. xp crashed with blue error screen when i plugged that SD in, but win 7 somehow managed to fix it, took like 2 hours for 4gb SD, but it finally fix it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]