Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: New to firmware hacking
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011 06:40 

Before I post the meat and potatoes I'd just like to say that I have been a hobbyist programmer for 10+ years, I've done some reverse engineering on software (crack me's, writing simple exploits, finding vulnerabilities), basically just saying I'm not stupid. Although apparently I possibly am.

I bought my daughter a vtech v.reader for christmas (http://www.vtechkids.com). It's a touchscreen ebook reader/game player. It has a 2^20 nand chip, 256mb sdram 166mhz, an sdcard reader, a game cartridge loader, and a built in keyboard.

When I hook it up to my computer I get two drives that show up, the sdcard reader and what's labeled "nand1-2".

I used dd to write every last bit from the nand1-2 drive and assume that's where the firmware is stored. I've shown the file around trying to find some help with it as far as "is this the firmware", "how do i retrieve the firmware", "what architecture is this v.reader using".

Someone pointed me here and said I should inquire about "opening custom containers" I believe. The file I retrieved from the nand chip is called VTECHDUMP. I used an application to mount VTECHDUMP as a filesystem and it contained garbage, but when you view VTECHDUMP in a hex editor it contains data, I just don't know what that data is.

If anyone can help me get to the bottom of this or point me in the right direction in regards to analysis of this file I'd sure apprecitate it.

Attachment:
vtech-nand-dump.zip [962 Bytes]
Downloaded 33 times

Post subject: Re: New to firmware hacking
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011 01:25 

I have verified VTECHDUMP and it's empty because except for the initial header the rest doesn't contain data.
you can verify it by filtering all the 0xff, 0xf5 and 0x00 bytes.

so there is nothing to do with that specific file

Post subject: Re: New to firmware hacking
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011 18:18 

never had experience with this, but on all other deviced that contain firmware, like dvd-rw, routers ..etc, you cannot access firmware directly. it has to be done via some special tool or by some kind of "hacking".
are you sure you mean firmware, because i dont think such things have firmware, they have ROM, not firmware.
ROM as when your device fucks up, then you can restore it from the ROM. it is a Read Only Memory chip, like a hdd or sdcard (not really, but its just example to make you understand how it works).

what are you trying to achieve ?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]