Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Extracting WAV files from DJ Hero 2 FSB files
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010 01:37 

Hey all, I'm new here and need some help extracting WAV files from DJ Hero 2 FSB files (XBOX 360 version). I have used the latest fsbext.exe (0.2.10), and it extracts some WAV files but they all contain static. I can somewhat hear the audio track which means that fsbext.exe is somewhat working.

Here is an example: 069.FSB

It contains 10 tracks. When attempting extraction with fsbext.exe, I get 10 WAV files of about 100KB each.
I also attempted extraction with towav.exe and get 10 WAV files with static.

I can provide more information, screenshots, details if need

Post subject: Re: Extracting WAV files from DJ Hero 2 FSB files
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010 13:23 

a file of 11 megabytes and 10 files extract for a total size of less than 1 megabyte... yeah there is for sure a problem :)

the question is if the problem is in the file or in fsbext... I'm taking a look at it in this moment

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010 13:42 

first update:
the files are in big endian so you must reverse their endianess to play them on PC, for this job use:
- quickbms http://aluigi.org/papers.htm#quickbms
- http://aluigi.org/papers/bms/wav_endian.bms

so it's not a problem of fsbext because it's just how the data is stored (the original content) and no, unfortunately there is no way to know/guess about the endianess and so auto reversing it automatically (the information is not stored in the fsb file).

while for the size of the fsb archive it's bigger than the reality because all the file are perfectly extracted and the (real) archive ends at offset 0xfc500, that's why from offset 0x100000 starts data that is not in pcm 16 bit.
this is also confirmed by the datasize field in the fsb header that says its size is 0xfc1a0 bytes (0x360 of the files offset plus 0xfc1a0 is exactly 0xfc500)

so seems that 069.fsb has been dumped from a file without considering its real size

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010 22:04 

aluigivacancy wrote:
so seems that 069.fsb has been dumped from a file without considering its real size
You are correct. The games main contents are within two DISC0.IMG.PARTx files. I combined them using "copy /b" command in Windows (leaving a single DISC.IMG). I then used WinHex to find all FSB instances and dumped each FSB by issuing a block start/block end and saving that particular selection. Since I didn't know how to determine the actual FSB size, I just set WinHex to select where one FSB start all the way to the beginning of the next FSB start position. Hence why there is an "F" at the end of the FSB file.

Can you please explain how you got the datasize from the FSB header? Possibly with screenshots. I would really appreciate it.

Also, thank you for helping. I used the quickbms script and it converted the WAVs perfectly.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010 23:24 

it's very simple, the following is the structure of the header from fsb.h:
Code:
typedef struct {
    char        id[4];      /* 'FSB4' */
    int32_t     numsamples; /* number of samples in the file */
    int32_t     shdrsize;   /* size in bytes of all of the sample headers including extended information */
    int32_t     datasize;   /* size in bytes of compressed sample data */
    uint32_t    version;    /* extended fsb version */
    uint32_t    mode;       /* flags that apply to all samples in the fsb */
    char        zero[8];    /* ??? */
    uint8_t     hash[16];   /* hash??? */
} FSOUND_FSB_HEADER_FSB4;
so all you need to do is simply "counting" the bytes in the file for reaching the needed offsets:
Code:
46 53 42 34 0a 00 00 00 30 03 00 00 a0 c1 0f 00   FSB4....0.......
00 00 04 00 28 00 00 00 6a ea fb 14 e2 50 16 8e   ....(...j....P..
36 ac e5 ff 03 f4 70 a6 5a 6d cc 9f 5d 11 05 8b   6.....p.Zm..]...
50 00 64 6a 68 32 31 39 34 5f 73 61 6d 70 6c 65   P.djh2194_sample
what you need to care of are only the two 32bit little-endian numbers at offset 8 and 12:
0x330 and 0xfc1a0

now it's enough that you make a simple sum and you will retrieve the size of the whole fsb archive:
0x30 (the size of the header) + 0x330 + 0xfc1a0 = 0xfc5000

easy :)

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2010 01:03 

Let me see if I got this right. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Oh, and 0B indicates that the FSB contains 11 samples.

The screenshot is from another FSB file in the game. I just wanted to ensure that I fully grasped the concept.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2010 08:39 

exactly

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010 16:39 

Once again for noobs with minimal knowledge please. (offcourse only if its not too much work)

While trying working with QuickBMS I get either, "this is not PCM(105)" or "FSB4 is not supported"

I just cant realize what Im making wrong, my .fsb ends at 00FC5000 just like said before, is it possible that this error is caused by the fact that I used wii iso?

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010 12:28 

you are using quickbms for doing what?
and moreover using what script?

the problem of the thread was about the encryption used in the fsb files.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010 20:57 

Well for extraction, just use the latest fsbext. There's no need in creating a quickbms script for what a pre-compiled tool can already do.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2010 00:02 

OK trying to follow what you guys have done, to get at the sounds in DJ Hero 2.

So far:

Open the ISO in WIIscrubber
Extract files "DISC0.IMG.part0" and "DISC0.IMG.part1"
Type "copy DISC0.IMG.part0 /b + DISC0.IMG.part1 /b DISC.IMG /b"

Then if I understand you guys correctly, I'm supposed to use the latest fsbext to extract the fsb files out of DISC.IMG somehow? Or is there another step between DISC.IMG and the FSB files?

Last edited by Nerd42 on 30 Mar 2011 03:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011 22:21 

Has anyone been working on getting this soundtrack extracted at all? Usually I hate posting for help, or trying to motivate people to help... but I've hit a brick wall and can't find any information anywhere online how to get these files extracted and converted. I know the DJ Hero 1 soundtrack was cracked open not long after release, but I have no idea who was responsible or how they did it... and there's no information about it online anywhere.

I started to get tired of waiting, since it seems nobody with the right knowledge really cares about the soundtrack at all...

I haven't touched on-disc yet, but I've been playing around with the DLC and ran into some issues.

As DJ Hero 1 was, DJ hero 2 is also 6 channel xma audio files packed inside of a FSB. I've used everything from xmaencode to xmaextract to fsbext to decfsb to xma_test to towav on these god damn things and haven't had any luck. My desktop is now a huge mess from all the various methods I've attempted to pull these files apart and get them converted to mp3s.

The closest I've been able to come so far is using decfsb to convert DJ.fsb (the song) into DJ_dec.fsb without a password and from there using xmaextract (it wont extract xma channels from a password protected FSB) to get 3 separate 2 channel XMA files. After that I tried inserting numerous different header files I found on various forums to get towav to decode it, but every time I do so the files end up playing at an abnormally fast rate and when combined together... the song is completely off sync.

If anyone has any info on how to do it, please share... If this thing requires 50+ hours of work just to get the damn thing extracted, I'm willing to do it at this point... I just need some clear instructions on a proper method of extracting and decoding the audio.

I still haven't played around with the disc either, but I've looked at it and saw that it was a 2 part IMG file... That sounds like it's going to be hell to play around with as well...

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011 22:25 

I say the same about this help request. Halp!!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011 01:13 

Here's an example of what I'm working with

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5JI3STS5

The password to the FSB file is nos70RiT

When extracting it with fsbext you get one tmpE8E5.tmp.xma file which is a 6channel xma. After using decfsb.exe you can use xmaextract to get 3 xma audio files which will contain the green, red, and blue tracks in the game. When a header is slapped on and they're converted with towav they are very skippy and offsync when matched together.

I will be so happy if somebody can figure this out.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011 23:24 

@ mDaWg

The password for that FSB file was nos71RiT. It was probably a simple mistake on your part.

Anyway, I extracted the tmpE8E5.tmp.xma from the FSB file, and then extracted the 3 xma files from that. Then I added a 16bit 44.1kHz xma header to each and extracted the audio files with towav.exe. I have uploaded the three xma files (with header) here. Let me know if they sound proper.

Also, how did you extract the FSB file from the larger IMG file system? Just curious.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011 04:26 

bowtie wrote:
@ mDaWg

The password for that FSB file was nos71RiT. It was probably a simple mistake on your part.

Anyway, I extracted the tmpE8E5.tmp.xma from the FSB file, and then extracted the 3 xma files from that. Then I added a 16bit 44.1kHz xma header to each and extracted the audio files with towav.exe. I have uploaded the three xma files (with header) here. Let me know if they sound proper.

Also, how did you extract the FSB file from the larger IMG file system? Just curious.
I believe he extracted those example files from DLC, not from the on-disc content. Which is annoying because I'm mostly interested in the on-disc content, but it's a step forward. I've been able to convert the files you just uploaded with the "towav" program you mentioned from this russian web site and got wave files from there that sound fine.

I have been totally unable to penetrate the on-disc file system beyond getting to "DISC0.IMG.part0" and "DISC0.IMG.part1".

I got as far as the "tmp.xma" stage on some DLC but I'm not sure how to extract the three separate files out of there and add this header thing. How is that done?

(later edit) Are you perhaps using one of the XMA tools on this page? If so, which one and how?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011 07:27 

I am using the xma_test utility. You need to know the correct file offsets to use in order to extract each 2-channel xma (sans header). There may be 2, 3, or 4 depending on the audio track (the guitar mixes from DJ Hero had 4, and DJ Hero 2 probably is the same). Then add the appropriate xma header and finally extract with towav.

Note: If you use an incorrect xma header, the final audio track (wav file) will sound horrible.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011 14:13 

bowtie wrote:
I am using the xma_test utility. You need to know the correct file offsets to use in order to extract each 2-channel xma (sans header). There may be 2, 3, or 4 depending on the audio track (the guitar mixes from DJ Hero had 4, and DJ Hero 2 probably is the same). Then add the appropriate xma header and finally extract with towav.

Note: If you use an incorrect xma header, the final audio track (wav file) will sound horrible.
How do I find those out?

I mean, the offsets could be anywhere. Where might I find them??

And where do I get this xma_test utility ?

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2011 03:46 

bowtie wrote:
I then used WinHex to find all FSB instances and dumped each FSB by issuing a block start/block end and saving that particular selection. Since I didn't know how to determine the actual FSB size, I just set WinHex to select where one FSB start all the way to the beginning of the next FSB start position. Hence why there is an "F" at the end of the FSB file.

Were you able to convert the resulting .fsb files to WAV then? And is there any way to dump the .fsb files at least semi-automatically? it seems a tad tedious to do it all manually, but if that's what it takes.... I've managed to get as far as creating DISC.IMG out of DISC0.IMG.part0 and .part1, and am looking at it under a hex editor, see the references to FSB4, and have no idea where to go from here.

What I'm looking at:

I have wiiscrubber and fsbext already installed in a windows virtual machine, in case either of those need to be used at this stage. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!

-djblastyfone

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2011 17:23 

We should be able to convert FSB files to WAV if they can once be gotten out of the IMG correctly and if I can figure out where the offsets are for the different streams. I'm still baffled as to how these guys seem to have figured that out

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2011 20:56 

Nerd42 wrote:
We should be able to convert FSB files to WAV if they can once be gotten out of the IMG correctly and if I can figure out where the offsets are for the different streams. I'm still baffled as to how these guys seem to have figured that out

Yeah, me too. What bowtie has described is using a hex editor to manually extract .fsb files from the IMG, however I'm still unclear on what marks the end of an .fsb file. I know that the ASCII text FSB4 marks the start :P

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2011 21:16 

deejay wrote:
I'm still unclear on what marks the end of an .fsb file.
The sixth post in this thread covers this.

I'll be giving the Disc0.img another shot within the next couple of days. Hopefully with better luck.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2011 22:09 

bowtie wrote:
deejay wrote:
I'm still unclear on what marks the end of an .fsb file.
The sixth post in this thread covers this.

I'll be giving the Disc0.img another shot within the next couple of days. Hopefully with better luck.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post

So have you successfully extracted and converted a FSB file from the image? Or are you still trying to figure out the extraction process? If it helps at all, I know the person who converted the original DJ Hero OST to 6 channel .WAV, then to 5.1 multichannel FLAC and 2-channel 320kbps MP3. From his documentation, however, it seems the original was less protected as he makes no mention of combining 2 parts of an image file, meaning all he had to do was extract the audio with WiiScrubber and convert it. Here you go anyway:

EDIT: Don't ask to a link to the thread, it resides on a private music-oriented bittorrent tracker (a.k.a. you need an account to view, and to get an account you must have an invite).

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2011 23:30 

deejay wrote:
So have you successfully extracted and converted a FSB file from the image? Or are you still trying to figure out the extraction process?

I was in the process of ripping (better yet, trying to rip) the music in the DJ Hero 2 game, but for some reason I stopped. I don't recall the reason, but hopefully this second time around will prove successful.

deejay wrote:
If it helps at all, I know the person who converted the original DJ Hero OST to 6 channel .WAV, then to 5.1 multichannel FLAC and 2-channel 320kbps MP3. From his documentation, however, it seems the original was less protected as he makes no mention of combining 2 parts of an image file, meaning all he had to do was extract the audio with WiiScrubber and convert it.

I contacted him once before. He ripped the Wii version but into 5.1 channel flac. I did the XBOX360 version because the audio in that was CD quality (16bit 44.1kHz). I also informed him that the final audio should in fact be stereo and not 5.1 multi-channel.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011 02:47 

bowtie wrote:
I did the XBOX360 version because the audio in that was CD quality (16bit 44.1kHz).

Wait, the X360 version uses the .fsb format as well? I got the Wii disc because I was under the impression that the 360 version used the .mogg file format, which uses difficult copy-protection :P. I think I've figured out what you meant about calculating the size of the .fsb, I've managed to export a small .fsb that seems to contain only crowd noises and have it extract without errors in fsbext. Unfortunately, the resulting .genh files won't play in VLC, and neither will the raw .WAV files when extracted with -A. The terminal output looks like this:

I know aluigi spoke of reversing the file's endianness, but you said you at least got static before reversing the endian. These don't play at all. Should I be using another program to play them? Am I extracting it wrong? Or do I need do something to them before they'll even play?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just beat it! I needed to re-encode the WAV files with vgmstream, now it works beautifully. Now all that's left is the slow, painful extraction process. Thanks anyway :D

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011 23:13 

Isn't there some way to make a simple script that will divide up the files correctly for us? I am not all that familiar with doing hex editing manually

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011 05:04 

bowtie wrote:
@ mDaWg

Sorry, School got in the way and I haven't had time to mess with any of this stuff recently. Thanks a ton for this though, that worked out perfectly. And yeah... That was a simple typo. Must have been me not used to this new lycoso keyboard.

If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you go about extracting them/where did you get the header from? I think my main problem may have been that I was using the incorrect headers or the wrong xma extraction tool.

Also, these are from the DLC. I figured I'd start there since DJH1 we never saw the DLC get uploaded. I have all of it from DJH1 and DJH2 though, so if somehow I can get a solid method down for easily extracting these xma files I'll get started on both games and have them done ASAP. I always get the latest DLC since activision usually sends me codes.

I also have the PS3 version as well as all the DLC for that, maybe it might be a little bit easier to mess with that instead? I also noticed the DJH2 disc on the PS3 is not in .part files but instead is just DISC0.IMG

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2011 21:20 

Any help with adding a header to the files so that I can use toWAV?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011 09:35 

I add the header to the red / blue / green tracks with the following command in the command prompt...

copy /b xma-header.bin+green-track.xma final-green-track.xma

I have the appropriate XMA header for the DJ Hero 1 & 2 tracks on a different computer so I will post it for you tomorrow.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011 12:51 

That would be much appreciated.

I tried taking the split files you posteder and copying the headers via hex editor... but I just don't know how the find the header specifically....ended up with some static, clicks and remnants of the song.

Edit - I've got it down to a science. Using the XMA tools in VGMToolbox I can add headers to them.

For those stumbling across this thread and who are a little lost here's the full procedure I used to extract the audio streams.

Firstly you will need the following tools:
wxHdd
XENDecryptNew
toWav
xmaextract (the xmaextract.class) file
(Note: To use xmaextract you may need to install either the java runtime for windows or the SDK, I installed both because I was having weird issues, but I don't know if the SDK is required)

I've provided these files as well as a ready to go VGMToolbox with the tools in the right settings and my preset loaded. I recommend using this as it will be easier. If not, you can google the files to locate them.

(For the record, toWav sets off flags in Panda, McAfee and Trend Micro antivirus products because it's packed. I understand if you don't trust me, I'm some random guy. If you google toWav there's only one source, I guarantee it will match the one provided as that's where I got it.)

You can get the tool collection here: http://www.multiupload.com/MLWDZ1U1WH

Instructions
I started with the DLC file dump as I got it. It was a file containing a bunch of numbers for the 360 filesystem. I downloaded wxHdd and used the included tool wxPirs to extract everything from that.

From there we have the folders. Inside each track is a bunch of files. You are looking for the largest file with the .fsb file extension (likely Dj.fsb)

Use XENDecryptNew (via command prompt) on that fsb file with the -x switch for xbox (or -p if it's a PC DLC rip) and set the output file to a .xma file.
(xendecryptnew -x Dj.fsb extracted.xma)

Now use the tool xmaextract (via command prompt) on the .xma file you just made with XENDecryptNew
(java xmaextract extracted.xma)

This will extract 3 audio streams with the .xma format. These are all you need at this point for this song.

Now all we need to do is add a RIFF header to each file. We do that with VGMToolbox.
Keep in mind you're going to need some binaries in VGMToolbox to use XMA support, it will prompt you and tell you where to get them. If you use the provided VGMToolbox in the archive I uploaded you don't need to do this as I've already set it up.

Using VGMToolbox click Misc tools -> Stream tools -> XMA -> XMA Converter.

Now if you're using VGMToolbox from the folder I provided in the archive, all you need to do is click the dropdown list, select 'Dj Hero_2_XMA_Preset' and click load. Disregard the following instructions and jump down to the green text.

Uncheck use xma_parse.exe ... we don't need it. Everything should be greyed out until now until you reach "2 - RIFF Header Options". Make sure "Add RIFF Header" is checked. Under frequency select 44100 (I'm not sure if all Dj Hero 2 DLC is 44100, but I'm going to assume it is)

Then under that in Channels, make sure "Use Channels" is clicked with a value of "Stereo (2+)

Scroll down to the bottom of that window and make sure under "4. WAV Conversion Options" that you have "Execute ToWav.exe on the Output Files"

You're ready to go. Go to the folder where you have the 3 extracted .xma files and drag and drop them into VGMToolbox one by one. It should take about 10 seconds to convert. VGMToolbox will make a subfolder where those .xma files are and there will be your extracted .wav files.

Hope this is useful to someone out there!

EDIT - It appears towave produces somewhat skippy tracks in random small spots. No idea what to do about that yet.

Last edited by xero256 on 07 Mar 2011 23:32, edited 2 times in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next