Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 13:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Proxocket on win7 and server 2008
PostPosted: 23 May 2011 21:24 

Reading some of the posts, it looks like I wasn't the only one to struggle with this, so I thought I'd share what it took to get this working. The DevOverrideEnable registry setting did not work for me.

I created a manifest file named processname.exe.manifest in the target program's directory. This is a simple XML file. This allows the local dll to be loaded. Here is an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<file name="ws2_32.dll"/>
</assembly>

ws2_32.dll seems to be missing some functions that are present in win7/server 2008. Using Luigi's DLL proxy skeleton generator and his existing ws2_32.c code as a template, I was able to recompile it. Code attached. (ws2_32.def renamed to ws2_32.def.c so that it could be attached)

Attachments:
ws2_32.def.c [10.03 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times
ws2_32.c [49.95 KiB]
Downloaded 85 times

Post subject: Re: Proxocket on win7 and server 2008
PostPosted: 24 May 2011 18:10 

this seems very interesting, however im bit lost.
what kind of file you make exactly. .exe or .xml ?

however proxocket works on my win 7 64-bit ultimate, one program it didnt work with is pokerTH.
seem to be working with other programs.

can you add your compiled ws2_32.dll ?

PostPosted: 25 May 2011 08:30 

I will verify it, if I'm not in error I already checked for differences between the exports of win7 and winxp in the past.

the manifest seems a good idea.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011 19:36 

in short, i dont need this so urgently and i dont have much time to deal with it myself right now (compiling and testing). so this is why i asked for the complete package.

PostPosted: 27 May 2011 14:00 

Sethoiz: It's an .xml, but it has a .manifest extension. Just copy/paste from my first post and name the file as follows:
nameofprocessthatcallsdll.exe.manifest.

I did some further testing and these are my findings:

Setting DevOverrideEnable did not work, but setting it and creating the manifest file did. Another option is to set HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\ExcludeFromKnownDlls to ws2_32.dll. No manifest file is required if the latter option is chosen. I'm not sure, but I think setting it in ExcludeFromKnownDlls would prevent ws2_32.dll from being cached by other apps, so DevOverrideEnable may be the better option. I don't think it's a big deal either way though.

I get the error "The procedure entry point WahDestroyHandleContextTable could not be located in the dynamic library WS2_32.dll" with the original version of the dll on Server 2008. I think this was the same error I got on Win7, but I did not re-test Win7.

The new ws2_32.dll is attached as requested.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011 21:37 

still confusing, what about .dll file you need to recompile ?? (one that you included as .c) or will it work with Luigi's original ?
i meant if someone could include WHOLE package. a .zip file including manifest + .dll ....etc
everything needed to run proxocket. so all i need is to extract it and put into application folder and include my own myproxocket.dll and thats it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]