Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Finding player names storage
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2011 11:40 

Hello, what would you advice me for the beginning on finding the array or some storage where are Player names saved?

I am running dedicated server and wanna obtain the address where are names stored, this would help me to remove some chars from the players name before joining the players list in game.
But i have no idea how to find this directivum, nothing found in assembler even looked at game commands those print player names and still couldnt realize, where they are saved. Finding the value in hex editor gave me always tons of names and always at different address, i though there may be some array like: Name, name, name, name...

Every advice is welcome, thanks :)

Post subject: Re: Finding player names storage
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011 08:43 

this is not an easy task.
a beginning would be to find the name of the first player in memory and then tracing all the operations made on it to find the structure (hoping it's static) and guessing its format.

if you don't have good practice with a debugger there is not much you can do.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011 15:37 

Via breakpoint memory on write found some addresses, the first one was when player connects then it saves on the server his name, the second address and next other addresses are when player changes nick during the gameplay. First one edited correctly, could remove some chars while player was joining to server, but other addresses, when the player changes nick in-game, during game play, couldnt edit, because there are some rep movsd instructions, which i never used before.
Is this equal?
Code:
rep movsd
and
mov [edi], [esi]

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011 17:32 

yes

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]