Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 13:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: WinRar 3.4x password recovery?
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008 10:38 

Hi Luigi.
I know it's not your usual sort of password recovery but are you aware of any flaws in WinRar's encryption from version 3.4x?
I was trying to find a file my dvd burner some how corrupted on me in my archives & I found a password protected RAR file from 2004 with the file in it. I've long forgotten the password apparently & the bruteforce programs say it would take years to check the string length I probably used (4 to 8). I know the file name & approximate size & I always use a certain rule set when making a password so I can guess what style of password I used be but there's still hundreds of possibilities.
I'm hoping there's a flaw in that version but haven't tracked anything down yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008 15:05 

dont think that Luigi is into password cracking :)
but 4-8 all_alpha_num would take like 1-2 days only. i've cracked lots of MD5 hashes (same as cracking password itself). with bruteforce or wordlists it goes like 3-4mil pass per second so its fast, but i really cant suggest any good cracker for winrar. i used passwordspro and cain, but i doubt that those has feature that allows you to crack winrar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008 15:38 

I'm not aware of weakness in the RAR encryption.
Anyway if your password was so short you could be able to recover in a "human" amount of time (I don't have programs to suggest since this is not my field)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]