Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 13:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Router limiting Fake_players_bug programs
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008 00:54 

I recently installed a router on my network. Before using the router, I was able to use the FP tools without problem.

With the router, using the FP tools times my connection out and can't access the internet until I turn it off.

Is there a way to remedy or bypass this?

A search has revealed nothing

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008 01:15 

installed a router ? im not sure how can you actually ''install'' a router, but anyways... FP = fake players tool right ?

what router you have ?
can you access the servers normally (servers where you want to use fp on) ?
i doubt it is port forwarding, because fake player tools dont need a listening port, so it cant really be port forwarding error.

Quote:
With the router, using the FP tools times my connection out and can't access the internet until I turn it off.

dont really understand, you cant access internet at all ??? or only fake player tools doesnt work ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008 01:20 

I started using a router...

I start using an fp tool. It appears to be working without problem, but I cannot browse the internet, etc.

I have tested two routers with the same result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008 01:27 

ah. sounds like the DNS problem i had.
It works, but then you cant surf internet anymore ?
if thats the case then:

simply go to your network connections.
double click your connection (one you using).
then click on properties.
double click internet protocol there
now there set the following DNS servers:
click ok in all open windowses.

at least it sounds like a DNS problem to me. had same shit and not only with fake player tools, but with torrents and eMule too. now im using openDNS servers and it works fine. no clue WHY, but i never had this problem when using cable modem, now im on DSL connection (using router) and those problems started.
using those DNS servers fixed it anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008 01:37 

Doubt it's a dns issue. If you're using plain IP addresses and not hostnames, DNS servers are never queried so they can't be an issue (unless of course a master server is involved that needs to be communicated with for whatever reason, then there might be an issue).

If the fake players are using tcp, it could be windows limiting the connections. To verify this, goto control panel > administrative tools > computer management > event viewer.. and check the system and application (cant remember which one) for error 4226. It will say something about a max limit being reached for 1/2 open connections.

If you are seeing this error, you will need to patch your tcp.sys file. The most known application for doing so can be found here -- http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads . I get this error when I run scripts that connect to a lot of servers via tcp, and I have to patch tcp.sys everytime i install windows. It can also happen if you have a lot of active torrents, or do a lot of file sharing. But most games use UDP so this might not be the issue.

However, if they are Linksys routers, they could be what is blocking the connections without telling you. I had a linksys router do this randomly (like it was detecting a flood), and I never found an option to turn it off, so I ended up using a pc with m0n0wall as my router which doesn't do "hidden things", and has worked perfectly for years now. I wouldn't doubt that many other SOHO routers block things like this too, as a security feature, and dont give you the option to turn it off.

You may also want to disable any software firewalls (windows firewall for example) that could be blocking the connections.

Last edited by SomaFM on 19 Aug 2008 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008 02:03 

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

I received that under Warning > 4226

That link you gave to the patcher gives "File Not Found"

EDIT: Nevermind, you put a period at the end of your link, disabling it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008 02:45 

That would most likely be the problem then -- the built in Windows protection is limiting your connections. It was a technique used to prevent worms and viruses from spreading too fast, but I think it's too limited myself.

After I installed SP3, my web browsing was reallllyyyy slowwwww. I had utorrent open, so I checked the event log and saw that error.. and it appeared SP3 overwrote the tcp.sys patch... so I had to redo it.

I usually bump the connections allowed up to about 10000 when I patch it, just to make sure I have enough for all my apps :P

Edit: I will also add that the SOHO routers (linksys, dlink, etc) might still partially block the flooding. So if it continues after you apply the patch, the router is most likely the issue too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008 02:59 

Your above solution didn't work. It's apparently the router. I've tried it on LinkSys and D-Link routers, both still blocking it apparently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008 12:45 

what exact fake players tool are you testing?

is possible that the router doesn't allow you to send too much udp packets from different source ports (I know that this is strange, mine is only a hypothesis) to avoid the wasting of resources required to keep track of the virtual connection between your IP/port and the one of the target

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008 13:03 

The bf2fp tool, the sampfp tool, and I think the ventrilofp tool has the same result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2008 12:30 

Quote:
Your above solution didn't work

you refer to somaFM or me ?
well as i said, i had exact same problem. as soon as i ran fake players tool then my internet was disabled (only web based, msn, browser, winamp..etc) and it didnt always came back after i closed it. sometimes it came back right after closing it, but sometimes it took time and sometimes i had to reboot pc (not router, but pc).
its wierd, i know, but using openDNS isntead of router/ISP DNS works fine.
and once again, that i never had such problems when i was using cable modem not router with DSL. it started with router.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]