Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Q3 engine: new game, old bugs
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008 18:40 

I had just downloaded the demo and dedicated server of a new game called Iron Grip Warlord and I saw that it used the usual interface of the games based on the quake 3 engine.

so I made a query to my dedicated server to see if it was really the quake 3 engine and then, just for curiosity, I tried to test q3infoboom versus it.

result: vulnerable!

after almost 4 years there are still new games vulnerable to one of the most famous game security vulnerability of the history... wow
and no, I haven't tested the other bugs (moreover because the client autodisconnected it from the server) except a quick pass of q3fill and the server had a strange effect... mah

Post subject: Re: Q3 engine: new game, old bugs
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008 20:10 

what a surprise (not really), this proves what i've said lot of times, that game developers don't really care if their stuff is vulnerable, they happy just as long as it runs ok on its own (it means it runs well if you dont poke it with exploits or anything else).

also for example, if everbody who wants to buy this game, would really KNOW that its vulnerable for those exploits..then they would still buy it. i dont think there's even a single person who would not buy the game because of a exploitable server :)

Post subject: Re: Q3 engine: new game, old bugs
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008 00:54 

well, at least u can download the original quake 3 engine for free now...
i wonder if QuakeLive is going to have bugs too, or even if it'll get fixed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]