Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: fsbext question about rebuilding
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2009 17:35 

Hello i found here a cool tool for extract & rebuild .fsb files, all its ok, i have extracted
the files, but the problem is to rebuild. I just simply cannot get it working.

Example
i have this structure

c:\folder :

fsbext.exe

c:\folder\fsbfiles :

extractedfiles (folder and inside .wav files)

what i have to do exactly to rebuild the files from c:\folder\fsbfiles\extractedfiles
into a extractedfiles.fsb?? i tried lots of commands and just cannot get it working
have you any tut explaining how to do it properly?
thanks in advance luigi.

Post subject: Re: fsbext question about rebuilding
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2009 20:35 

well, for rebuilding the archive you need to have created the special binary file during the extraction with the -s option. it's needed because contains all the info about how to rebuild the archive.

don't worry, you don't need to re-extract everything, in fact you can recreate this file in any moment using -s and -l like in this example:

fsbext -l -s dump.txt file.fsb

now for rebuilding the archive you must simply do:

fsbext -s dump.txt -r newfile.fsb

that's all.
naturally remember to execute the command from the folder where you extracted the files the first time.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2009 22:30 

thanks for the fast reply.
Still with a problem, i just follow your instructions, and ok, but when i try to rebuild get this :

reb file : dump.txt
output file : newfile.fsb
FSB rebuilding

Error : No such file or directory

there are any command to let know the program where's the files? or specify a directory, i just
follow your instructions, make the dump.txt and from the same folder execute the command to rebuild
but didnt get this working.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2009 23:54 

check if dump.txt is in the same folder in which you are in this moment.
for example if you extracted the files in c:\filez remember to copy both fsbext.exe and dump.txt in that folder and to launch the tool from there.
if you are not practiced with the console you can just create a run.bat file in c:\filez to run with a simple double-click containing the needed command, like:
Code:
fsbext -s dump.txt -r newfile.fsb > log.txt

that "> log.txt" at the end could be useful in case of errors or to rewatch the operations performed by the tool.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009 02:55 

released version 0.2.5 which fixes the problem:

http://aluigi.org/papers.htm#fsbext

thanx

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009 23:40 

a strange thing I have noticed today in fmod:

practically if you use the option "Small sample headers" in fsbankex.exe using a type of codec like XMA then the obtained FSB file can't be read correctly, at least not "externally" without knowing the exact parameters of each file.

that happens because when that option is used all the files from the second to the last must be considered with the same parameters used in the first file and by default the XMA codec places the seek table in the description of the files (the "moresize" in my fsbext) and obviously the size of such table depends by the size of the audio files so if the total size of the description/header of the first file is 200 bytes the one of the others can vary making them impossible to read.

probably also VAG and GCADPCM "could" give some problems with some files which have a different number of channels.

that option is really bad

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011 16:03 

Hey aluigi,

i like to mod a game and so i extracted it's sounds with your nice tool.
That's the start of the printout:
Code:
- "add header" option disabled otherwise you can't rebuild the archive
- reb file:     dump2.txt
- input file:   LoL_Audio_orig.fsb
- FSB4 version 4.0 mode 32

Filename                         Size       Mode frequency channels bits
========================================================================
galio_basicattack_ohf_1.aif      24064      mono,delta,effects 44100 1 16
annie_basicatk_OH_3.aif          25216      mono,delta,effects 32000 1 16
DrMundo_CritAttack_OC_1.aif      21440      mono,delta,effects 44100 1 16

Afterwards, I overwrote some of the unpacked sounds and packed it again with your tool.
When i play the game, or play the sounds with FMOD Event Player i get short weird noise at the end of some! files , even in the non overwritten ones.

But when i unpack the original file and pack it again, without changing anything, i don't get these errors. So what i am doin wrong?
Is it what you mentioned above?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011 22:28 

tomorrow I will make some tests and will let you know where is the problem and when/if I will fix it (if it's a bug of fsbext)

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011 16:36 

I have made a simple test extracting an mp3.fsb file, replacing the extracted files and rebuilding the new archive and the result was correct, so when I extracted the new archive the file were exactly the same I imported.

so from my point of view it's enough correct, are you sure it's not a problem with the bitrate and frequency of the new mp3?
maybe you can try doing some other tests and then let me know the result

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011 19:31 

No, i'm not sure. I've no idea about if i can actually replace sounds like i did. prob size,bitrate,... must be the same. But i'm sure it s not the frequency bc i changed all replacing files to the target frequency.

I just wondered bc the sound is fine, except the end of some files.

the steps i did:

1. extracted the original FSB in a folder "sounds"
2. used FMOD designer to build a "replacing package" with all my new files. The included files where all MP3.
3. stored them in a new FSB
4. extracted the new FSB with your tool
5. moved the extracted files to the folder "sounds" and overwrote the originals
6. rebuild the folder sounds
7. used FMOD event Player

anyway, I will do some further research about the fsb format.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011 23:10 

so do you have the same problem both using my tool and fmod to "rebuild" the archive?

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011 11:31 

No. when I use FMOD designer and put only my sounds into one fsb, then all is ok. Maybe it's the orignial *.fev file that's causing my problems? I've to check this.

i cant read in the original fsb into FMOD designer and and it would be too much work if i would insert all the original sounds manually bc there are thousands of it. so i can't actually rebuilt the "target fsb" with FMOD.

PostPosted: 13 May 2011 07:15 

Hi, I have been trying to mod an .fbs file from Just Cause 2. First of all, I have tested various fbs files from the just cause 2 folder and i was successfully able to extract the .wavs and rebuild the fbs. However, the .fbs that I am interested in modding is not able to rebuild. I think the problem is possibly because some of the files in the fsb have spaces in it such as "01 Sloth_TomSheldon_Main.wav". None of the other fsbs that I have tried had spaces in the files that were extracted, just underscores. Where I think the issue is occurring is in the dump that is made to know how to rebuild the fsb. Each time I try to rebuild it will try to open the first .wav but in the console it is just a random ASCII character it tries to open, even ??? sometimes. The program stops with "No such file or directory exists", obviously ???.wav isn't going to exist. I am wondering of any possible fixes or workarounds for this type of error, thanks.

PS: I attached the dump that is the source of the problem.

PSPS: I just noticed some of the files are named longer than 30 characters long as well and are cut off.

Attachments:
File comment: The dump generated from the .FSB I am trying to rebuild.
dump.txt [34.37 KiB]
Downloaded 47 times

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]