Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: MyBrute help.
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2007 01:08 

Hey, I downloaded your file 'MyBrute', and I need a bit of help using it and I can't find any tutorials on how to use it.

Could you maybe help me use it/explain it to me?

Thanks alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2007 11:00 

as any other tool on my website multircon works from the console so the first thing is just launching it (many people are blocked in this stage):

http://aluigi.org/about.htm#howuse

Now let's go with the usage of multircon.
The tool is composed by two parts, one specific for the remote administration of a server using one of the protocols supported by the tool and another one (which seems the most used one) for the brute forcing of the rcon passwords.

multircon [options] <host> <port>

options are just the optional parameter that you can specify to the tool, they must be specified ever before the host and the port fields
by default the tool uses the Quake 3 rcon protocol
host is the server hostname or IP address
port it's rcon port

The following are the options:

-p PASS
by default the password is requested at runtime when you launch the tool, this option allows you to avoid to reinsert the keyword, useful for example if you want to launch a one-shot command or use the tool often with the same server

-c CMD
the one-shot command, in short multircon connects to the server and sends this command, wait the reply of the server and then exits

-i
this option is very useful, it forces the tool to request informations to the remote server and automatically sets the needed rcon protocol and continues with the execution

-I
as above but exits after having visualized the received query

-f FILE
this option specifies a file containing all the commands you want to send, they must be one per line. very useful for sending batch commands through rcon

-t TYPE
forces the usage of a specific rcon protocol of those supported by the tool

-a
asynchronous commands, the explanation is very simple: instead of waiting for the server's data after each rcon command you sends, this option allows you to return quickly to the input entry (where you can insert the next command) and the incoming server's data will be visualized just when it arrives in any moment

-s SEC
sets the amount of seconds to wait after you send a command for returning to the input entry, this works only in synchronous mode (so not with -a)

---

Now the brute forcing part, remember to use the -i or the -t options above for setting the proper rcon method:

-b ?
shows a quick runtime help screen about the available brute forcing options

-b L T
the classical brute forcing method, L is the max length of the passwords you want to scan while T is the table, it's composed by the first and last char you want to use in the scanning
for example if you specify -b 8 az the tool will try all the passwords of max 8 chars containing the chars from 'a' to 'z' while -b 8 09azAZ all the alphanumeric chars

-B OLD
this is the recovery option, use it if you break a scan and want to recover it, for example -b 8 az -B oldpass

-w FILE
the wordlist brute forcing, instead of trying any char in the chartable this option allows you to try all the words contained line-per-line in the file FILE

-W OPT
this option allows you to choose 3 types of wordlist scannings: 1 for trying any low and high case of each char in the password, 2 for trying only the low case and 3 for only the high

-d MS
amount of milliseconds to wait before reseding the new rcon password request, it's 500 by default since it's the minimum for Quake 3 servers.
read below about why this amount of ms is needed

---

I initially wrote this tool for the Quake 3 engine and the brute forcing option has been added only for testing and because it didn't cost anything to me but there are tons of problems with it.
The Quake 3 engine uses an anti-brute forcing mechanism which tells the engine to process only one rcon command each half second, and it's not important if a valid admin sends a valid rcon command because if it's arrived after another invalid command send by another IP within the same half-second, it will be dropped.

That's the reason about why the brute forcing part of multircon is totatlly useless (at least for the Quake 3 engine) and also because there is the common problem of any brute forcing scan: the time

I hate brute forcing since takes tons of resources and in the case of rcon brute forcing it's results are uncertain too because you will never receive a "invalid password" reply from the server and so you will never know what and how much packets have been dropped by the server

So resuming: 500 ms limitation, normal endless time for scanning and uncertain results.

The good thing of the 500 ms limitation is just that the problems had by an attacker are the same of the admin since a flooding of rcon commands sent within the half-second can block a valid admin which wants to send rcon commands.
This is probably the best usage of the -d option and it's also the reason why I created a so called patch which allows to disable this limitation in the own Quake 3 server.

---

The folowing are the same examples available in the description of the program on my website:
- password guessing using passwords of max 8 chars and with all the possible alphanumeric: multircon -i -b 8 azAZ09 SERVER PORT
- recover an old password: multircon -i -B OLDPWD -b 8 azAZ09 SERVER PORT
- wordlist: multircon -i -w WORDLIST.txt SERVER PORT
- rcon DoS: multircon -i -b 10 09AZaz -d 100 SERVER PORT

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]