Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vista SP2 removes the limit on half open connections
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 01:28 

From the SP2 update notes:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335036.aspx?ppud=4 wrote:
SP2 removes the limit of 10 half open outbound TCP connections. By default, SP2 has no limit on the number of half open outbound TCP connections.

They originally did this to try and slow the spreading of viruses, malware, etc... but the side effect was that it made our applications and scripts that use a lot of connections (like bittorent) suffer. On XP there were third party patches that raised the limit, but with Vista it was a much bigger hassle because the OS would have problems booting if it detected changes with the file because of digital signatures.

Overall, I'm glad they decided to remove this limit.

Post subject: Re: Vista SP2 removes the limit on half open connections
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 12:59 

although I have ever thought that such limitation was a shame, we don't need to exclude the fact that 90% of the users are idiots with a virus/worm/bot inside them, but after all it's for sure not that 10 tcp limit to avoid these idiots to become a danger for the whole internet.

Post subject: Re: Vista SP2 removes the limit on half open connections
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009 07:59 

Vista is for retards. They trying to limit everything hoping that it will reduce the spreading of all kind of malware (viruses, trojans, worms..etc). Results are what Soma described...programs that lot of ppl use daily will suffer. Also this touches the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, some of them detects uTorrent (and prolly others) as some kind of malware.

So far all ive heard about Vista, is that it limits lot of things, preventing access to some vital tools and programs, but as Luigi said, 90% of users are idiots who will think that microsoft is always right and that when they have the newest windows, then they are SAFE.

Soma about the half-open connections. I had some serious issues on my custom win xp, when using uTorrent (also tested others), i started getting the blue error screen. What i did is that i changed it manually in "tcpip.sys" file, but thats in XP. so i dunno how vista works, prolly in some gay way.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]