Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: codstatsfix
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2009 16:01 

I talked about this possible problem over one year ago: post2043.html#p2043

I'm not sure if it produces or not big effects, from a quick test the only visible results are the rising of the CPU usage and tons of entries in the log which obviously are not a pleasure.
anyway an admin reported that this small Denial of Service has been abused lately so I have decided to make a quick universal fix for both cod4 and cod5.

patch:
http://aluigi.org/patches/codstatsfix.lpatch

testing of the bug:
udpsz -l 1 -C "ff ff ff ff 73 74 61 74 73" 127.0.0.1 28960 -1

Post subject: Re: codstatsfix
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2009 20:36 

aluigi wrote:
anyway an admin reported that this small Denial of Service has been abused lately so I have decided to make a quick universal fix for both cod4 and cod5.

That admin would be me. :)

I've tested this fix and it works like a charm. The cpu-usage rises up to 100% when I test this on my server without this fix. This is in a Lan environnement. I don't know what happens when an attack is taken place with a normal internetconnection, but with this fix there is normal cpu-usage.
As a admin you should consider this as an attack on your server, even if it's harmless after version 1.7 the choice is yours what to do with it.

@ aluigi.
Thanks a lot for all the time you spent on this subject for helping me out here.
I appreciate it very much.
Keep up the great work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]