Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: D3DMesh encrypted?
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2009 23:34 

Hi there.
First of all excellent work on the Telltale TTARCH tool, it's working great.

Onto the topic, the model files *.d3dmesh (Direct3d, possible .mesh?) found in 'The Siege of Spinner Cay'-->"/Pack/*_data.ttarch" seems to be in some kind of encrypted binary format.
Every file when viewed in hex starts with the same (header?) information
Code:
??????d....}??L??6??????gDG.???..d-.??u??f.????[{??????c??.De|??????c4.O.????r???????W.W???*?????M?????b=v??bg??%.????...??D????{Ll??mA.??y??<(???????J.??????????.S].`...???y.????#2.??$???

The only readable ASCII information is the filename ending in *.d3dmesh, and one or more *.d3dtx files (.dds) that I assume is textures found in /Pack/*_tx.ttarch.
Would it be possible to make a tool that converts *.d3dmesh to a more importable 3d format?
There is a john_doe over at the LucasArts-forum that managed to build a workable but limited viewer in 2006, but it was hardcoded and not public available.

Would be great if you could have a look at it.

Again thanks for many great tools.
ne0n

Post subject: Re: D3DMesh encrypted?
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 16:09 

sorry but I can't help with the d3dmesh files because they are not encrypted, they are simply in a particular format (I know practically nothing about 3d graphic and formats).

Post subject: Re: D3DMesh encrypted?
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2009 02:02 

Okay. Looking a bit more into the case, in the Microsoft DirectX SDK, there is a sample project written in C++ (For VS2005 and VS2008) that shows how to load a custom mesh file, in this example they selected *.obj.

Quote:
This sample shows how an ID3DXMesh object can be created from mesh data stored in a Wavefront Object file ( .obj). It's convenient to use .x files when working with ID3DXMesh objects, since D3DX can create and fill a mesh object directly from a .x file. It's also easy to initialize a mesh object with data gathered from any file format or memory resource.

From MeshLoader.cpp:
// Load the vertex buffer, index buffer, and subset information from a file. In this case,
// an .obj file was chosen for simplicity, but it's meant to illustrate that ID3DXMesh objects
// can be filled from any mesh file format once the necessary data is extracted from file.

The best thing about this project, is that it includes a [*.custommesh] to [*.x] exporter. That would make it easy to import models from *.x into 3d-modeling software.
The 'MeshFromOBJ' Project can be downloaded from here: MeshFromOBJ.rar
Here is the Microsoft Developer Documentation explaining the project

I completely understand if this ain't something you'd bother to work with, since you write in C and don't have much experience with 3d graphic. But I am hoping you could look at the sample-project and see if you could understand how to load the *.d3dmesh data into this project.

Thank you

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]