Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Spaces and periods not handled in gslist output filepath
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009 22:05 

When I try to output my server results to a file that happens to have a directory that includes either a space or a period (perhaps other characters I have not discovered), the file doesn't get written. Is this something that is known about, and is there a way to resolve it besides avoiding these directories? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Spaces and periods not handled in gslist output filepath
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009 11:57 

that happens because you have not included the path between "", example:
"c:\documents and settings\myfile.txt"

this is the console syntax, not something related to gslist

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009 14:20 

bah i was thinking that too, but i tought that it can't be that (i tought he used that, because it should be obvious to use that)

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2009 07:09 

But even if I don't include the "", it still works for directories without spaces or periods? I would think it would not work at all.

I saw an example somewhere on the forums that did not use "", so I followed that example, assuming it was correct. My mistake.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2009 12:36 

in a console environment all the arguments are separated by spaces or tabs so, logically, if you have an argument containing one of these 2 chars you must tell the console interpreter where your argument starts and finishes, and this job is done through the adding of two " chars.

nothing avoids you to delimit any argument with the " char but obviously it's useless if you do it with arguments that don't require it.
examples:
- c:\hello\myfile.txt
- "c:\hello\New Document.txt"

then exist some particular chars that in some environment or in general can cause troubles because they are used for specific operations (for example the pipe is used to work with the standard input and output).
that's the case of the |, the ?, the > and < and some other puntuaction chars in which case is necessary to delimit the argument with the " chars.
examples:
- "these are my | and ? chars"

other special chars are the backslash (NOT on windows) and the same ", in which case you must place a backslash in front of them, examples:
- "this is my \" char"
- "I'm on Linux and I can't use the \\ char normally"

this is the almost complete explanation of the most important parts of the syntax of the command-line.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2009 17:01 

I understand. Thanks very much, works perfectly now.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]