Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Completely new to programming
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009 06:57 

Hello Luigi!

My name is Tal and I'm 17 years old. Currently a senior in high school. Anyways, this year I decided to take Computer Science and I really like it. Even though we learn very very VERY simplistic Java, programming is appealing to me.
My question is what would be the best way for me to start learning C++? My ultimate goal (which I will aspire to, but honestly, I doubt I'll ever get there) is to create my own hacks for games (personal use, like aimbots or wallhacks) and to move on from there. I know it's a very cheap cause, but I think that having a goal in mind that I'd actually love to achieve is always a good motivator. I know this isn't really your specialty field, but seeing your work and all the things you create makes me think that your opinion should weigh more than anyone else I could ask.

So anyways, what should I start out with? books? tutorials?
I don't want to buy a random c++ book from walmart, read it for a week or two and then realize that everything written there wouldn't be of use to me, so thats why I'm asking you or this nice community :P

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Completely new to programming
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009 18:29 

in general the good idea is to learn the basis of a language (like the syntax) and then learning the rest with the practice because reading a book is totally useless, except if you have the luck of remembering everything you read.

online there are tons of guides and examples (VERY importants!) so you don't need to spend money.

at the beginning you should mainly force yourself to work on some small projects in which you have at least a minimal interest so that you are forced to make practice.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009 19:55 

Could you give me an example please? What would be considered a small scale project?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009 21:13 

Try making a hello world program then move on to a program that does arithmetic operations, after that learn loops and so on... There are many tutorials on the net for that kind of stuff.

http://www.hitmill.com/programming/cpp/helloWorld.htm

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009 23:26 

if your goal is to write aimbots and hacks for games, then i think you should talk to TeamRetox on my forum. he have done few. im sure he is willing to share if you ask nice :)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009 00:24 

Sethioz wrote:
if your goal is to write aimbots and hacks for games, then i think you should talk to TeamRetox on my forum. he have done few. im sure he is willing to share if you ask nice :)

I went to your site (got it from your profile) and i tried to register. There is a problem with the captcha. I can't see the picture, so meanwhile I cant register :{

Thanks for everyone's help, I cant wait to get started :)

EDIT: nvm, I didn't see your post in the forums about registration :P

Last edited by spik3e on 21 Nov 2009 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009 00:42 

as MathWiz said, the secret is in the "chain" of knowledge which is created when you start something, even if it's completely unrelated to what you want to do.

for example you want to read a registy value and so you will see how to call a Windows API, you will see how work the pointers (pointer to DWORDs in this case), how to allocate a buffer (RegQueryValue can return only the size of the registry key so that you can allocate a buffer and recall it for filling it with the data) and so on.

just a chain :)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009 02:12 

aluigi wrote:
as MathWiz said, the secret is in the "chain" of knowledge which is created when you start something, even if it's completely unrelated to what you want to do.

for example you want to read a registy value and so you will see how to call a Windows API, you will see how work the pointers (pointer to DWORDs in this case), how to allocate a buffer (RegQueryValue can return only the size of the registry key so that you can allocate a buffer and recall it for filling it with the data) and so on.

just a chain :)

wahh? I didn't get the second paragraph really, but I agree 100% with the first one. I understand that I cant just go off creating haxx0rx for every game, I gotta start somewhere. Question is where :)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009 18:37 

the second paragraph was only an example (I didn't remember a better one) of the "chain" about I refer: you start working on a small thing and then you learn other things related to it or sometimes even completely unrelated because you see them during working on the project.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]