Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Why In hell do you think gamespy did this?
The IT Admins were drunk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They made a Deal with Tom of Myspace to make dual enterprise from use of that bandwidth 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
GameSpy doesn't give trash about its users and really doesnt care what happens to the end user and so they use what available bandwidth they could use. 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
all of the above 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: GameSpy Trace route
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010 04:38 

Hello, gentlemen of the forums, i have found some pretty interesting and in a way disturbing things when it comes to connecting to gamespy. For those of you who use Linux, namely Ubuntu (such as myself), this is easy to prove. gamespy like most massive servers, has initial redirects to other proprietary Bandwidth they own, to finally connect you to the main server. now one very disturbing redirect is believe it or not myspace. both myspace's company site, and their social network (or at least bandwidth belonging to the same server as the social network) are listed in trace route as sites your redirected to. at first i thought it was a mistake... but i tested it again, first the same, than different master servers, including those used by Mortal Kombat Armageddon and Grand Theft Auto Four. they all use Myspace as a redirect. I find this, a threat to their security and the security of users. someone could easily attack a machine thats going through, free, unsecured bandwidth. I have attached a photo to this post to see for yourself.

If you still do not believe me, and you use Ubuntu or anything, Debian related, go into trace route. Plug in GameSpys Master Server IP address. you will see a bunch of different and random redirects, you will see the myspace redirects in the list right before the final host of the specific gamespy server. you will see what i mean.

Attachments:
File comment: ..
gamespy=crap.png
gamespy=crap.png [ 100.91 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]

Post subject: Re: GameSpy Trace route
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010 12:21 

Its an exchange of traffic, called "peering"

See http://www.peeringdb.com/ and http://peering.myspace.com/

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 03:58 

hmmm... thats interesting. thank you for those details :)

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010 14:32 

gamespy could aswell be called userspy. i have always hated it.
it is not exactly in topic, but uTorrent also connects into weird places (not redirects, but makes connections, without having any torrents at all).
gamespy have been and always will be a piece of trash, not trash, but piece of trash, it is too good to call it a trash.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]