Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Math study
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010 20:01 

Hello. I'm old, but i want to learn math as it is applied in general computer science, graphics, and possibly physics. Problem is i forgot most of school math, so i need to start from the basics (back to school)...

Can someone, please, tell me what what math subject i must explore and in what order. Advice on any resources for study in the form text or video.

Think of me as a really small kid, that is too big to back to school.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Math study
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010 20:16 

everything depends by what you want to do, your doubt is too much generic.

consider that already exist algorithms and or math formulas for specific fields, so exist a math formula to take the dtmf tones for an audio stream, or that one for identifying the faces from images and obviously all the various algorithms for audio and video codecs and so on.

except for these pre-built algo/formulas the rest is usually based on the simple math operations + - * / because the others like shift, xor, and, or are used in algorithms and particular functions (for example changing the endianess of a number or reading a number from memory or file maintaining a desired endianess).

so I repeat, everything depends by what you want to do and for specific jobs already exist specific algorithms and formulas to use

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010 12:52 

I realize that most things are already made, but i need to know how they work, get on the same level as the people who made them. That's why i want to explore math for general computer science.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010 14:37 

the problem is in that "general computer science".
this is not "general", it's something specific of a specific field.
the creators of the AES encryption knows nothing about graphics, and who created the ogg or mp3 codecs know nothing about encryption and so on.

if (for example) you want to understand how the AES encryption works you can study it since it's fully documented and you can do the same for any other thing in which you are interested.

as example the following is an explanation of the AES encryption in comic-style with a detailed math explanation:
http://www.moserware.com/2009/09/stick- ... anced.html

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010 16:47 

i will revise my question. Thanks. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]