Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jedi Academy Skin crash?
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010 21:38 

Hi all.I really need help.We have a jedi academy clan,but some guy is crashin our players.
He said it is a "skin crash" =.=
Can u help me in some way ???

Post subject: Re: Jedi Academy Skin crash?
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010 16:46 

im quite sure it was discussed on Luigi's forum before.
can't belive ppl still play that old stuff duh.
you just need to wait for Luigi's reply, maybe he remembers if and where it was discussed before.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2010 15:20 

hi. ur playing on JA 1.0
model crash is a bug when u use something like 2 of the same things for the custom model, like 2 heads.
ex: model jedi_hm/head_a2|head_a2
what u can do is get something that is made from the X-Raiders clan, it's called SecureHost.
it protects against flood, jamsgbof, force crash, model crash, and a few others.
http://jk3xraiders.proboards.com/index.cgi
u have to sign up on the forums and ask for it, i don't think it's public yet.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010 16:25 

Excuse the bump, however, so people are not mistaken by the above post, SecureHost does not protect servers from the "model crash".

Also, "model crash" occures when the server sends a data to clients when they request updates(at +scores screen). What happens is a malicious client sets his model to include an illegal character(for those that are interested, it is |), the server sends the malicious players model to all clients who are set to receive the update(again, at +scores screen). You can ignore receiving the data by using the cvar CG_Forcemodel 1.

It is also possible to set the model as duplicates(e.g. jedi_hm/head_a1|head_a1) but this only returns shader errors on clients, it doesn't cause the actual crash until the malicious player enters the character customization screen(maybe the extra information gets truncated? I don't know).

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010 21:57 

cmd userinfo \model\blah|blah
?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010 15:29 

yeah, pretty much, luigi.

but uh u said the same thing i said... o_O

uh also axis told me that securehost was working at preventing model crash, that's why i said that.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011 21:17 

I saw a little fix on 1.01, what enabled just model something/head_xx|torso_xx|lower_xx format. If anything was missing, or the order was different (forexample if you write model jedi_hm/head_a1|head_b1|lower_a1, you will get a model with unvisible head, notextured torso.

So there are 3 positions to configure (head part, torso part, lower part). If you write less or more, it creates crash.
Anyway if you write a nonvaluable thing there, it also creates crash (like model jedi_hm/head_a1|torso_a1|mycatisblue)

That's why "model |" or "model jedi_hm/head_a1|" crashes.

So if you use valuable thing 3 times, it wont crash, like model jedi_hm/head_a1|head_b1|head_c1 wont crash. You will get unvisible head, with untextured torso and leg.

So fix can be if we allow on the first position: head_a1, head_a2, head_a3, head_a4, head_b1, head_b2, head_b3, head_b4, head_c1
on the second position: torso_a1, torso_b1, torso_c1, torso_d1, torso_e1, torso_f1, torso_g1
on the third position: lower_a1, lower_b1, lower_c1, lower_d1, lower_e1

And there's no more. The code must contain min and max two of "|" char

Is it possible to create?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]