Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 11:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 
 Post subject: CoD2 bug causing servers to crash
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010 12:53 

Heya!
Long time no seen, you might remember us from a couple of years ago when you resolved our servers issues aswel, Im a clanleader from nomercy-clan.com running CoD2 and CoD4 servers. Back then it was caused by people executing configs with over 24characters in it making a server crash. Im a

A few days ago I found out about a new way to make a server crash and I was hoping you might had a solution for this problem.
Any random player in my CoD2 servers that types the following line:
/openscriptmenu asd endround
Makes the map they're playing end, if this command is repeated about 10times in a short amount of time it will cause the server to crash. Players will not be able to pick a team.

Hopefully, again you can help me resolve these problems!
Thanks

Geoff
http://www.nomercy-clan.com

Post subject: Re: CoD2 bug causing servers to crash
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010 17:21 

uhmm doesn't seem something easy to fix and in any case I don't have the game to test.
obviously we are talking about CoD2 1.3 right?

I can't even suggest to disable this or that command because in the cod2 executable doesn't exist a "openscriptmenu" command or something similar so it's probably a shortcut or something similar so I can't help.
sorry

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010 22:52 

aluigi wrote:
I can't even suggest to disable this or that command because in the cod2 executable doesn't exist a "openscriptmenu" command or something similar so it's probably a shortcut or something similar so I can't help.
sorry

The command is there, but it's not an listed dvar.
CoD2 MP exe wrote:
EXAMPLE: openscriptmenu ingame changeweapon.....USAGE: openscriptmenu <parent menu name> <script menu response>

What is the crash message? Maximum number of menus %d exceeded?

Attachments:
File comment: dvarlist in the background
openscriptmenu.jpg
openscriptmenu.jpg [ 22.63 KiB | Viewed 9607 times ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010 23:38 

It is indeed CoD2 v1.3 and there is no crash message, not even in the console log Feigling.

Disabling the console isn't gonna help much either as its easy to bind. Its still a very unknown bug but as soon as it comes out in the open I think hells gonna break lose on my servers lol.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010 08:39 

reez wrote:
Makes the map they're playing end, if this command is repeated about 10times in a short amount of time it will cause the server to crash. Players will not be able to pick a team.

I just tried it on our testserver and couldn't cause any problems. I can only force the end of the map when I start my own server on my own PC. Have you tried to cause the effect on your server by typing it while playing? Maybe it was someone with RCON access, haven't tried it with RCON but I assume this could work. Try it on your server.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010 16:33 

Feigling wrote:
reez wrote:

I just tried it on our testserver and couldn't cause any problems. I can only force the end of the map when I start my own server on my own PC. Have you tried to cause the effect on your server by typing it while playing? Maybe it was someone with RCON access, haven't tried it with RCON but I assume this could work. Try it on your server.

The only person with rcon access on my public servers is me, all my members and server admins use a program we wrote a couple of years ago giving them all admin permissions without having to know the rcon password.

Also the difference between the server you tested it on and my server is probably that the server that got stuck only runs 1 map, at the end of that map the server performs a fast_restart instead of a map_restart to reduce the waiting time.

Nevertheless, having random players that are capable of ending the map whenever they want is really annoying.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010 18:57 

please delete this thread because there is no known protection to this bug.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010 13:58 

Lets not delete it but rather try to resolve it ;S

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010 14:15 

Quote:

what is it with the deleting, it is nice to have all the known bugs.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010 14:45 

Sethioz wrote:
Quote:

what is it with the deleting, it is nice to have all the known bugs.

yeah, it's nice to know. but it started happening every day now on our public servers, ant that ein't nice.
so we just don't want it PUBLIC! the less ppl know the better, however many hosts will try to find a solution, but we aren't optimistic about this.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010 14:54 

there are lot of things i don't want either.
as i always say about these things, i am admin in few game servers and ive had my own server too, i have never had any crashing problems, because i am not a "bitch admin". if your server is being crashed daily, then you have done something to deserve it.

sry for offtopic, but this all is going offtopic already with deleting and not wanting it public, Luigi's work is public, just accept it and be greatful for his help, not bitch here.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010 15:05 

Sethioz wrote:
there are lot of things i don't want either.
as i always say about these things, i am admin in few game servers and ive had my own server too, i have never had any crashing problems, because i am not a "bitch admin". if your server is being crashed daily, then you have done something to deserve it.

sry for offtopic, but this all is going offtopic already with deleting and not wanting it public, Luigi's work is public, just accept it and be greatful for his help, not bitch here.

ofc we are thankfull 4 any help,
and don't insult and try to be lil more polite, you are calling every admin in cod2 a "b.a." cos there's no known solution 4 this problem and there are ppl with some problems who enjoy to crash servers with no reason, i can't help that.
i'm expresing my opinion, have u heard that we can do that in democracy? and then ppl like u call us 3rd world, ironic really.
just go back to the topic, if u can't help, better keep quiet.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010 21:57 

Quote:
less ppl know the better

time passes but people never understand... maybe we need to wait the year 3000 to see someone understanding that security-though-obscurity (or the "ostrich way") is a 100% failure in any way and any field

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010 06:53 

this thing works/worked up to cod mw2.

A workaround/solution for this problem maybe could be a server side mod (scripting) that ignores the command from the client .
It's possible but I don't have a good knowledge of the cod scripting atm.
I don't know where exactly put the files in the iwd zips and I get the references to materials that I have not recalled ... I get always script errors 8).

I suppose (I'm not really sure) that the relevant part should be the onMenuResponse() and you should manage the response (ex. response == "endround" ) but I'm a bit stuck at the moment because I'm not able to let sample script work (the errors are generic or I'm too stupid to identify the specific error).
File _menus.gsc that can be found in /main/iw_15.iwd (the path \maps\mp\gametypes\)

-- I've solved my previous script errors (I should not recall the precaching) but the code is ignored by the server and the bug is still there (!)
-- In the iwnation forums are quite "aggressive" and they seem to don't even know this bug.

Some references that are also good for cod2 (the best that I've found online except reading source code of other mods)

The script api for cod4
http://openwarfaremod.com/cod4script/

a basic script tutorial (it's not that difficult)
http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.ph ... troduction

---------------------------

For someone else interested in the executables the strings in CoD2MP_s.exe

001A2D50: openscriptmenu
001A3301: openscriptmenu
001A332F: openscriptmenu
001C2F6C: openscriptmenu

I'm clueless also in this case.
I've patched the exe but the server is still crashing when is changing the maps. What a fail ...

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010 19:40 

Hello Guys! :)

Here is solution... i create IWD file with many,many help from forum IWNATION - http://iwnation.com/forums/index.php?s= ... ntry316370

Ok, here is solution:

Download this file : http://cod2.egs.rs/main/zzz_iw_fix.iwd

Put this file in main folder, and that's it. I try to change IW15.iwd, but in this case when i try to connect on server,
have error cos' there is two version of IW15 files. One on my computer, and one on server. So, i decide that
no touch iw15.iwd file, and create only this one with name zzz_ ... I think it's working. I try to type : /openscriptmenu asd endround ... and see
that fix working. Try it! :D

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010 20:39 

for the paranoids like me I confim the genuinity of the file:
Code:
Z:\>diff -r original new
diff -r original/_menus.gsc new/_menus.gsc
99,105d98
<               if(response == "endround")
<               {
<                       level thread [[level.endgameconfirmed]]();
<                       continue;
<               }
<
<

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010 21:34 

Hi. I'm noob in this can somebody explain me how to solve this on COD2 v1.0 LINUX servers?

Aluigi can you please explain what to do with that code where to put it need more instructions?

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010 12:04 

I hadn't look back at this topic for a while but as all above I have found the same fix with some help from riverhosting.
Enjoy
http://www.nomercy-clan.com/consolefix/ ... olefix.iwd
Download it and put it in your fs_game if you use it and if not your main. Reboot the server and you're ready to go.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010 13:15 

the patch is exactly the same of the one linked by string:
Code:
diff -r old/_menus.gsc new/_menus.gsc
99,105d98
<               if(response == "endround")
<               {
<                       level thread [[level.endgameconfirmed]]();
<                       continue;
<               }
<
<

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010 12:55 

sorry 4 doubts.
GJ guys! tnx!

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010 21:17 

Well,first of all,I want to say hello to all of u boys and girls.
Now,for this bug fix.
I have been testing this for a while and I can say that this fix in a way can help the problem but not all the way!
The thing is that if u apply this fix to your server,clients must have download option in game menu enabled because they have to also download the requested fix so then they cannot use this bug to cause server to end round.
But,if clients simply turn off download option in game, they can use this bug again!

So,this fix does not solve enything.Is there any other way to patch this,because on our 4 servers we have a huuuuge problem,because there are few guys which uses this bug and they are constantly crashing servers!?!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010 11:00 

uhmm so that new/_menus.gsc is a client file? (note I don't have the game and know nothing about it)
ih ih ih funny, who can be so idiot by wanting to "fix" a bug affecting the server trying to avoid the client to exploit it?
naaa I can't believe it... :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]