Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cod4 Patching
PostPosted: 08 May 2010 18:04 

Hi!

I finally got pissed off by someone dosing my rcon day and night, so i decided to put a patch on my server to bypass the blocking effect...

now, my question is: When i patch the server, will everyone still be able to join as they were before, and will i be able to run punkbuster on the server as before, or it will pop out messages like impure server executable or something like that?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Post subject: Re: Cod4 Patching
PostPosted: 08 May 2010 23:03 

everything will remain the same.

practically the problem of the "rcon blocking" is caused by a check added by id software in the Quake 3 engine to avoid that people can try tons of passwords to guess the correct rcon one (which in any case is a very hypothetic thing due to how rcon works and the fact that it's all over udp).

the problem of this "limitation" is that it leads to more disadvantages than advantages.
so the patch I have on my website does the simple job of removing this horrible check/limitation, nothing else.
obviously remember to use a rcon password enough strong as you should do in any case.

the "pure" stuff is calculated on the checksums of the packages in use on the server and the client, so it's not touched by the modifications on the executable.

PostPosted: 09 May 2010 22:01 

Okay, thanks for the reply!

But, just to ask (if you maybe know...) will punkbuster detect that server .exe has been modified (like it detect's on some cracked servers)?

PostPosted: 10 May 2010 08:47 

personally I have never heard this thing of the cracked servers "recognized" by pb but I guess it's done using other parameters like for example the usual memory scanning searching for some signatures like the one that happens on the clients.
because otherwise it should have a continuously updated list of valid hashes for any version and platform of the server (exe for windows, linux, dedicated and non dedicated servers, any version and so on) and wouldn't possible to use mods that modify the exe, unofficial patches and so on.

anyway, I repeat, I have never heard of this thing.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010 16:33 

well, i saw few servers that get constant pb messages like : *WARNING* This server is banned by PunkBuster
and similar, just coz it is modified to accept players that already have cdkey in use (cracked servers)
but ok, i'l try to make a fully patched (dirtrav, rconlogin limit...) iw3mp, and see if it pop's any errors, and report here :D

PostPosted: 10 May 2010 23:53 

ok keep me updated if you will have news, seems interesting

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 23:17 

okay, i updated it, and it works just fine, everyone can join
of course, there is a but: punkbuster works properly, but in logs after restarting punkbuster i get message that server executable is modified, but thats about it; no ingame messages or anything

And, aluigi thanks for releasing those patches, they do the job very good, tho one time when i was testing the rcon limit, i disconnected myself somehow with rcon brute...

anyways, thanks again, you saved me :D

Also, if someone is reading this, and wants to get rid of rcon bruters on other way than patching, install punkbuster webtool (that's what i used before patching)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]