Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 13:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Proxocket loaded but not generating packet log
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010 04:01 

I would like to create a "mini firewall" for a game against certain types of malformed UDP packets using Proxocket. I have placed both DLLs in the directory of the application but it does not generate any packet logs. i ran a dependency check on the exe (using PE explorer) and it turns out it loaded both of the DLLs from the same directory. This is very puzzling because I needed to see if this works before i begin my work on the "myproxocket" filter.
b/w I am running win 7 (idk if it matters).

Post subject: Re: Proxocket loaded but not generating packet log
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010 13:37 

uhmmm very strange.
is your win7 at 64bit?
if you are 100% sure that the files are loaded correctly this can be the only reason.
then it's enough (and better) to use only ws2_32.dll and not both

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 00:54 

my win7 is 32 bit. i did as you said but to no avail. i tried only ws2_32.dll and it didn't work. i tried wsock32.dll by it self and it didn't work. and i tried both of them and it didn't work. :-(

i ran again another dependency scanner that comes with microsoft visual studio 6 and that gave me same results that it loads up both DLLs and if one is missing from the folder then it loads it from the system32 folder.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 03:38 

by the way, what will the generated cap file be named when it is generated?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 15:15 

I don't have idea why win7 doesn't use it even if it loads it, maybe it's a security feature added in this OS and maybe it's possible to remove it by using the same pseudo-fix of win-vista:
"if you have Vista and the local ws2_32/wsock32 dlls are not loaded try to set the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DevOverrideEnable" to 1"

but sincerely I have no idea.

the cap file will have a proxocket+date as name, for example:
proxocket_05.jan.2010-15.15.42.cap

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010 01:03 

that was my first thought, to check registry for same issue but field doesnt exists and i created one and restarted and still no good. I posted my problems on a bunch of windows forums, when/if i find an answer i'll post the remedy here as well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]