Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 12:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quake 3 Protocol
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010 21:24 

Hi,
I'm experimenting with the quake3 protocol a bit, and I have a couple of questions about it.

First, I am trying to connect a 'player' to the server. Eventually I'd like to have a client that can interact in some simple way with the server, like collecting kill statistics, for example.
So, my code currently retrieves the challenge, and sends a connect packet like this:

Code:
\xff\xff\xff\xffconnect "\challenge\[Challenge]\protocol\[Protocol]\qport\20001\name\blankname\model\none"\n

Then, the infostring is compressed using the huffman compression algorithm and sent to the server. The server will allow the player to connect, but the player will have the default name and model, not the one specified in the infostring. This is very strange, and I don't understand why it would be happening.

So, at this point, I have a default-userinfo player in CNCT state. I would think that at this stage, the server would start sending information (about the map, the MOTD, etc.) to the client on the port specified by qport, but when I open that port to receive data, no information is received. So, does the server send it to some other port than the one specified in qport?

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Quake 3 Protocol
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010 00:43 

Both problems are now resolved, I should have looked into them more before posting here.

The first problem, the userinfo not working, was because the leading \ of the userinfo string was omitted, which caused the string to be invalidated when more info was added to the beginning.

As for the data not being received, it seems that the server will send the data to whatever port it was sent from, rather than the qport specified.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]