Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Steam saving password even though you don't ask it to?
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009 00:50 

Can anyone verify that Steam is saving your password even if you don't check the box upon logging in?

I deleted my clientregistry.blob and my SteamAppData.vdf files just to make sure there wasn't something telling it to save my password. But after logging back in, the latest steampwd tool is still able to see my password in clientregistry.blob :(

Being a paranoid person, I hate knowing that my password is easily obtainable like this.

Post subject: Re: Steam saving password even though you don't ask it to?
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009 11:24 

here if I delete clientregistry.blob then steam asks to insert the password.
maybe you have 2 different steam installations and have deleted the files from the wrong one.
in doubt redelete the files, run procmon with the filter "path -> contains -> blob" and see where it loads the file

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009 23:53 

Definitely not a duplicate install on this machine. Steam also asks me for the password each time, but it seems to still record the encrypted password in clientregistry.blob, despite the box being unchecked.

The clientregistry.blob file is fresh because I deleted it right before I started Steam. Then I start Steam, it asks for my password, and the fresh file is generated again. I then choose this fresh clientregistry.blob file with steampwd, and it correctly decrypts the password.

I'll keep playing around and see what I come up with.

--
edit: used procmon, everything is working with the same clientregistry.blob file.
Also tried a virtual machine, latest version of steam, no password remembering checked, and it still remembers it.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009 00:28 

ops now I understand what you mean and yes you are not crazy :)
Steam saves the last used password in clientregistry.blob IN ANY CASE even if you select the "Don't save account credentials on this computer" option and disable "Remember my password"

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009 03:10 

Damn you VALVe.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]