Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tool Request?
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2007 15:50 

Hi Luigi.
I was wondering if you'd take a tool request?
I've just done a reinstall of one of my Ubisoft games (in particular GRAW2) & I ran into an interesting problem. I had lost my cd key awhile back & when I went to try & change it it didn't seem to allow me to even with an fresh install. I had been searching the registry & such for it & couldn't find it.
Then I realized each time I reinstalled the game I'd restore my profile over writing the xml files. Turns out Ubisoft is weird & didn't store it in the registry like most companies.
Finally I got it change by simple creating a new profile loosing all my custom options which, while not to big of a problem, is very annoying.
Now I could have simply changed it in the xml once I realized it was there however they seem to hash it some how making it not anything like the cd key you type in on install.
I was hoping you'd be willing to take a request for a generic Ubisoft cd key decoder/encoder or even just a GRAW2 encoder/decoder since Ubisfot wouldn't tell me how to change the cd key. It'd save ppl problems when trying to back up their accounts after loosing the manual like I did or even when just having to change the key for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2007 18:47 

I premise that I don't have the game and I doubt the demo implements the needed functions for handling this stuff.

Anyway each decoder requires that the source (cdkey or password or anything else) is encoded or encrypted.
So the first step is that you should figure if the cdkey is hashed or encrypted.

Check it's length and if it contains only hex chars (0-9 and A-F): MD5 has hashes which are 32 chars long while SHA1 40

If it's hashed I can do nothing naturally.

Then let me know if this XML file has a particular name, probably exist other games which use it and the same method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2007 03:32 

Well I actually made a mistake in where it was stored... it seems to stored in a file called MPID.TXT but seems to be all binary data; when opened in notepad it appears blank.
I opened it in Hex Workshop & the "text" area of the program just shows groups of ...... (not all the same length).

76 bytes in size as reported by windows xp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2007 10:57 

http://forum.smartlaunch.net/Topic11287-18-1.aspx

seems that all the job is made by this keyhasher.exe program which, judging the name, seems to hash the cdkey so no recovery is possible, but a size of 76 bytes seems something like CryptProtectData in which case my cunprot tool should be able to do the recovery job.

So first try to pass the file to cunprot (remember that CryptProtectData uses your hardware/software serial numbers as encryption key so you cannot decrypt stuff encrypted on other PCs or with a different Windows ID) and then if this fails pass me this keyhasher.exe

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008 19:41 

Well I'm trying your cunprot right now & not sure I'm using it right... I type cunprot mpid.txt & it says:
- decryption error
- no password found, I consider the input as raw data instead of hash
Then a window pops up talking about an application requesting accesses to a protected item & asks for the password. Since I have no idea what the password is I just keep hitting ok & it eventually exits with:
- decryption error

Advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008 19:43 

Well I'm trying your cunprot right now & not sure I'm using it right... I type cunprot mpid.txt & it says:
- decryption error
- no password found, I consider the input as raw data instead of hash
Then a window pops up talking about an application requesting accesses to a protected item & asks for the password. Since I have no idea what the password is I just keep hitting ok & it eventually exits with:
- decryption error

Advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008 14:22 

The hypotesis are 2:
- doesn't use CryptProtectData
- uses CryptProtectData but with a custom entropy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008 15:15 

Sorry for the double post... scripts seem to be causing a connection problem lately.

So if it doesn't use CryptProtectData anything that can be done?
And for custom entropy I assume that the entropy has to be stored somewhere on my system so that the data can be verified that it's not changed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008 20:17 

the entropy is something like an additional data which is used for an additional scrambling.
Anyway for the moment there is nothing else you can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008 19:47 

May the gods of Ubisoft rot then.

ok, thanks for the help then; keep up the good work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]