Luigi Auriemma

aluigi.org (ARCHIVE-ONLY FORUM!)
It is currently 19 Jul 2012 14:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wireless and Router conflicting
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009 19:51 

Luigi if you find better name for topic, then change it, i couldnt think of anything better.

well my problem is extremely stupid and probably unique as usual.
as some of ppl knows, i am using wireless connection for internet, i have no lan line here (or cable..etc).

so my problem is here:
we have 3 computers here (2 pcs and 1 laptop).
i want to connect 2 or more pcs thru router to share stuff, like movies, or play games in LAN, but as soon as i connect my router to my pc and enable LAN, then ALL programs will stop using wireless, they try to use LAN, but there is no connection.

i tried Luigi's proxocket (the new code he wrote few days ago) to prevent binding of other interfaces, but problem is NOT the interface at all.
i compiled Luigi's new code with my wireless's interface (192.168.1.109) and tested when router was not connected and it worked just fine.
now i connected router and enabled LAN, ran firefox and BLAH. it loaded forever, but never loaded. i just forgot to run packet editor/monitor/scanner to see where it connects, but its not necessary, because with proxocket it will only use wireless interface, problem is most likely in XP, it just has no incoming/outgoing connections thru wireless while LAN is active, however when i click on wireless, i can see that it is connected and there is some traffic coming and going (probably some broadcasting between router and wireless).
i have also changed order of interfaces and put wireless on top, still same shit.

honostly it is getting very annoying and if anybody has even some ideas, then post them up. i doubt Luigi can help with it, cuz i have bugged him with it earlier :) but even an idea what might cause this would be nice.

Post subject: Re: Wireless and Router conflicting
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009 20:42 

I am a little confused with the situation, but I'll give it a shot. So you want to share files and play games over a network with your computers? And you say there are no cables, it's all wireless?

You could just disable any wired NICs in device manager, and not worry about them, and the operating system shouldn't try to use them at all. Then you don't have to use Luigi's tools to make the problem more complex than it already is.

And as long as all your computers are on the same subnet, and connected to the router, you should be fine to game between them. As for file sharing under Windows in a P2P network, sometimes it helps to make sure that all computers are using the same workgroup.

If I'm not helping, a drawing/diagram of your network would be helpful too if you can do that.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009 05:16 

This is easy,

You have to search I have not used this in a long time but.

what you need is to enabled your wireless via registry override all this does it force your wireless to work even when running a Lan.. as the default in all windows computers are set to make Lan take over any wireless connection.

Windows is set like this

1 ethernet
2 wireless

all the override does is force it to look like this

1 wireless
2 ethernet

If you don't use the override and you have a wireless connection active the second you plug in the ethernet cable it will knock out your wireless, but this will fix it.

Note I've only done this on Windows 7 I do not know if this exists on vista/xp/lower.

This was talked about before in this forum. I think in a thread about the 30ms windows live gaming limitation or something similar.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009 07:55 

Soma > no no. you making a mess here.
1. only connection with outside world is wireless
2. we have 3 pcs here and i want to be connected to them while browsing the net (using wireless)

so the problem is that when i plug in LAN, it knocks out my wireless and im unable to use internet.

JD > yes, this is exactly my problem. first i tought that i can just re-arrange them in the settings, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. i included the screen of the settings i tried long ago.
you saying that i have to edit registry somewhere ?
lets say i find it, but what if ill change it to:
1. Wireless
2. LAN
but wouldn't it reverse the problem ? like when i have wireless active, then it knocks out LAN, so i can be online, but not communicate with router ?

Attachments:
blahdohduh.JPG
blahdohduh.JPG [ 31.36 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009 16:56 

I do not know if it will work on XP? you are using?

First I found this

1. run regedit.exe
2. Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\XLive
3. Right click in empty background and select New > String Value.
4. Rename it to 'ConnectionOverride'
5. Right click ConnectionOverride and click Modify
6. Type in 'Hamachi' and press OK

All I remember was NOT going to step 2 I went into some other string that holds the network connection information (you can google it) And for step 6 I put.. Well on XP I think it is called "Wireless"?

I have no clue if this works in xp/vista.. I know by default it works in OSX 1.5

I really don't like saying this but in your problematic situation OSX 1.5 imo will solve this the fast and easy way

I attached a picture

I removed my wireless card but all I would do is move it up in the list and boom it works. Like you tryed in XP/vista/7 but failed. OSX acctualy made a usefull thing for once thats works how it should.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009 19:12 

- Set the wired NIC to have an IP address and subnet mask that is on a different network from the wireless NIC, but make sure it has NO default gateway or DNS server (so you will probably have to give it a static IP if there's a DHCP server automatically giving it Default Gateway/DNS settings)
- Leave the wireless NIC settings alone
- When a computer tries to go out and get internet, it's forced to go wireless because there is no default gateway on the wired NIC. But you can still connect via LAN to your other computers (\\10.10.10.15\mysharedfolder\) because they are on the same network.

Here's a thread with a similar situation: http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=215506

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009 20:55 

im kind a confused here guys. 2 things:

1. JD, in the registry, what should my "wireless" be ?
- i have used about 3 different USB wireless adapters too, so in registry i have like "wireless", "wireless connection 2" and "wireless connection 3", but in control panel i have only one of them and i named to to "Wireless".
i assume in registry i use "wireless" ?

2. Soma what you saying is that all i should do is remove default gateway from LAN ? i have already static ip for LAN, but wireless is automatic (gets all details on its own).

ill make quick test and remove default gateway from LAN and see what happens.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009 19:03 

Yea you shouldn't need a default gateway on the wired network if no traffic is leaving through that network to reach another network. That is what a default gateway does, it acts as a "last resort" and handles traffic that isn't on a network. Typically this is just a router. Since all your computers in the wired network are on the same network, they don't need one. A static IP and subnet mask is all you should need on the wired side. You also shouldn't need DNS servers, since your DNS requests are handled on the wireless side.

Here is a diagram of how I would picture it: http://i29.tinypic.com/246s8kw.jpg

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009 21:39 

cool it works. i just left out the default gateway and it works fine, wireless for internet and im still able to connect into other pcs connected thru router. however it prevents me from accessing my router :( its not big problem, but if somebody knows how to fix that too, would be nice.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 01:04 

Does it do anything in particular that you need?

I would imagine it should be accessible by it's IP if you put it in the same subnet as your wired network.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009 11:33 

kind a confused, what you mean by its ip ? if theres no default gateway, then i dont think i can access it, its not that important anyway.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009 16:43 

But if it's on the same network (same subnet) as the wired computers then you should be able to access it's config page without a default gateway. Default gateway is only used for reaching other networks outside of your current one.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009 11:21 

im stupid :)
i never even tried it. when i type 'default gateway' into browser, then yes i can access the config.

another offtopic question. how can i bridge the connection ? so for example my pc is connected to wireless and router and other pc is connecter to router. how can i bridge the connection so that other pc would be able to access my wireless thru router ?
i tried the simple bridge (highlight wireless and lan and bridge), but then it didnt connect into wireless anymore.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009 15:39 

You could set up internet connection sharing on the PC that is connected to the wireless, and then point your other pcs to it (set their default gateways/dns to the wired NIC of the computer sharing it's wireless). From what I remember, internet connection sharing will basically turn a pc into a router, and dhcp/dns server so it can share it's internet with other pcs. More info on how to set it up here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009 16:46 

didn't work, it said that 192.168.0.1 could not be used, check that no other pc/device blabla is not using it.
hey guys, thanks for the help, this conflict was bugging me long ago already.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009 14:02 

UPDATE:
it seems like this default gateway method does not work in linux, it still prefers the connection. i mean it uses LAN instead of wireless. even tho there is no default gateway, it still tries to connect where it is not possible to connect. seems like linux is stupid in this matter and does not see that wireless has the gateway. I also tried to check the box where it says "use this connection only for resources on its network" and explaination is that "never use this connection as default", but it still takes it as default. so i have no idea what is wrong with it. i have to uncheck "connect automatically" and then disable networking and reenable networking, then when LAN is disconnected, i can use wireless, but when i connect to lan too, then wireless becomes useless.

hopefully somebody has some ideas about this too :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]